Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Venezuela
Current Location
Venezuela
In the U.S, language you would say a helmet. This is because the word helmet starts with a consonant and not a vowel. But if the H was silent, you say an helmet?

This is the case in many English speaking countries, one of which being Ireland. The Irish accent is very different from the American accent, and one of those differences is the H sound. For example, in the US or England you would say “helmet” making the H sound at the beginning of the word. But in Ireland you would say “elmet” ignoring the H sound at the beginning of the word. Therefore, you would say an helmet, and not a helmet.

When a country of accent has the silent H at the beginning of a word, it is called H dropping. Please reply with more examples of H dropping.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
None of the Irish people I know drop the "h" from "helmet". Where did you get the idea that they do?

The most obvious one I can think of is that BrE uses "a herb" and AmE uses "an 'erb".

TheLetter"þ"

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Venezuela
Current Location
Venezuela
None of the Irish people I know drop the "h" from "helmet". Where did you get the idea that they do?

The most obvious one I can think of is that BrE uses "a herb" and AmE uses "an 'erb".
I wrote this slightly wrong, I meant a thick Irish accent.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the U.S, language AmE, you would say "a helmet". This is because the word "helmet" starts with a consonant, and not a vowel. But However, if the "h" was silent, would you say "an helmet"?

This is the case in many English-speaking countries, one of which being is Ireland. The Irish accent is very different from the American accent, and one of those differences is the "h" sound. For example, in the US or England you would say “helmet”, making the "h" sound at the beginning of the word, but in Ireland you would say “elmet”, ignoring the "h" sound at the beginning of the word. Therefore, you would say "an helmet", and not "a helmet".

When a country of an accent has the silent drops the "h" at the beginning of a word, it is called "h dropping". Please reply with more examples of "h dropping".
Note my corrections above.

I'll have to take your word for it (for now) about a "thick" Irish accent. I'm sure one of our Irish colleagues will be able to confirm/deny this at some point.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In AmE we sometimes see or hear "an" rather than "a" before words beginning with h, for example: an historical document. Nevertheless most of us still pronounce the initial h, albeit faintly.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm like that. It doesn't work with "history," but does with "historic" or "historical."

I would say "a history test," but "an historical document."

Probably has to do with the first syllable not being stressed, which makes the h sound practically disappear.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In the U.S, language you AmE would you say "a helmet"?
Hi, TheLetter"þ", and welcome to the forum.
Please correct the information on your profile page.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For what it's worth, the Wikipedia entry states that it is NOT common in Scots and Irish English (emphasis mine).
H-dropping occurs (variably) in most of the dialects of the English language in England and Welsh English, including Cockney, West Country English, West Midlands English (including Brummie), East Midlands English, most of northern England (including Yorkshire and Lancashire), and Cardiff English.[6] It is not generally found in Scottish English and Irish English. It is also typically absent in certain regions of England and Wales, including Northumberland, East Anglia and most of North Wales.[7]

This source claims there are only five silent h's in AmE:

James J. Kilpatrick
The ear is likely to deceive us in this matter of aspirates. The rule in American English is that there is practically no such thing as a dropped 'aitch.' William and Mary Morris, whose authority merits respect, say that only five words with a silent aitch remain in American English: heir, honest, hour, honor, herb, and their derivatives.

Incidentally, I wouldn't label any of this as a "grammar issue" as per the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.