Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

Could you please help me and say why 'grievous' is the correct answer? Thank you.

The consequences of global warming have grave/grievous impacts for all of us.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Global warming causes people to suffer. Of the two adjectives, only "grievous" is associated with suffering. "Grave" is to do with being serious/dangerous/harmful.

bartek1988

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is a sentence given by my teacher. Would you then accept both answers? If so, what would the difference be?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What was your teacher trying to do? Trying to teach you the meanings of these two words by making a sentence in which only one of them makes sense? If that is the case, I don't think the question works well. I wouldn't ask it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is your teacher a native English speaker? Did they make the question up themselves or take it from a book? As you can see, your post is still flagged with "Waiting for source information". There's not much we can do until we know a bit more.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think 'have impacts' is wrong, especially with 'consequences' as its subject. It's a poor sentence either way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"WXYZ will have grievous consequences" might work.

P.S. I thought of changing"will" to "would " but then I decided that either would work depending on context. Of course, I could change my mind about that. 😊

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think "grievous" goes well with "impact". In fact, it is not a common adjective.

I think consequences don't give rise to impacts; consequences are impacts, both being the outcome of global warming.

Last edited:

bartek1988

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is your teacher a native English speaker? Did they make the question up themselves or take it from a book? As you can see, your post is still flagged with "Waiting for source information". There's not much we can do until we know a bit more.
Thank you all for the comments. This sentence as a part of a multiple choice exercise was prepared by my teacher who is not a native speaker of English. Altogether there were 4 options to choose from: grave, mournful, grieving and grievous.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're on good terms with your teacher, maybe you could show him/her this thread!