Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello, folks.

Hope you are very well.
I have just written a piece of writing, and I hope English-native would look at and spot my errors:
---------------------------
Hamdh Valley

At the western bank of Hamdh valley, there is a group of inscriptions engraved on faces of large rocks and boulders; comprising animal figures and tribal brandings include a figure of small camel with a big hump, long rears and hind legs in bas-relief, with a blank spot in the middle. Under this small camel incised a figure of horse with a knight on holding reins. In addition, several rocks and boulders scattered over the slopes of the valley featuring various tribal brandings, sometimes associated with animal figures.

These inscriptions are suggestive of the valley was once well watered and a rest-place, populated by more than tribe as attested by the wide range of petroglyphs.

The forms of camels, horses and tribal brandings are a common phenomenon occurs across the Saudi Arabia. It is rare to come across such a site void of inscriptions.

Compared to other petroglyphs, these inscriptions clearly date back to the late second millennium B.C, incised in the same period due to the homogeneous patina.

Any suggestions, alteration,?

Thanks in advance

Ayidh

Last edited by a moderator:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, folks.

Hope you are very well.
I have just written a piece of writing, and I hope English-native would look at and spot my errors:
---------------------------
Hamdh Valley

At the western bank of Hamdh Valley, there is a group of [STRIKE]inscriptions engraved on faces of [/STRIKE] large rocks and boulders with inscriptions; [STRIKE]comprising [/STRIKE] representing animal figures and tribal brandings that include a figure of small camel with a big hump, long rears (?ears?) and hind legs in bas-relief, with a blank spot in the middle. Under this small camel [STRIKE]incised[/STRIKE] is a figure of horse with a knight [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] holding reins. In addition, there are several rocks and boulders scattered over the slopes of the valley featuring various tribal brandings, [STRIKE]sometimes[/STRIKE] some associated with animal figures.

These inscriptions are suggestive [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE] that the valley was once well watered and a rest-place, populated by more than tribes, as attested by the wide range of petroglyphs.

The forms of camels, horses and tribal brandings are a common phenomenon that occurs across [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] Saudi Arabia. It is rare to come across such a site void of inscriptions.

Compared to other petroglyphs, these inscriptions clearly date back to the late second millennium B.C, incised in the same period due to the homogeneous patina.

Any suggestions, alteration,?

Thanks in advance

Ayidh

See above.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Compared to other petroglyphs, these inscriptions clearly date back to the late second millennium B.C

This doesn't make sense.

Compared to is wrong. I think you mean Unlike.

Also, remove clearly.

ayidh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Many thanks, Yankee, for your modification

Good insight, Jutfrank, for drawing my attention to that phrase.

I've tried to like your inputs, but failed to find the icon

ayidh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
This is the latest version modified in light of Yankee and Jutfrank's correction:

t the western bank of Hamdh Valley, there is a group of large rocks and boulders with inscriptions; representing animal figures and tribal brandings that include a figure of small camel with a big hump, long ears and hind legs in bas-relief, with a blank spot in the middle. Under this small camel is a figure of horse with a knight on holding reins. In addition, there are several rocks and boulders scattered over the slopes of the valley featuring various tribal brandings, some associated with animal figures.

These inscriptions are suggestive that the valley was once well watered and a rest-place, populated by more than tribes, as attested by the wide range of petroglyphs.

The forms of camels, horses and tribal brandings are a common phenomenon that occurs across Saudi Arabia. It is rare to come across such a site void of inscriptions.

Unlike other petroglyphs, these inscriptions date back to the late second millennium B.C, incised in the same period due to the homogeneous patina.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the western bank ....

a knight on a horse

Delete "Unlike other petroglyphs" and say: "The inscriptions date back to ....

You are biting off more than you can chew.

Last edited:

ayidh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
On the western bank ....

a knight on a horse

Delete "Unlike other petroglyphs" anf say: "The inscriptions date back to ....

You are biting off more than you can chew:lol:.

Thanks, Tarheel, for your input.
-----------------------------
On the western bank of Hamdh Valley, there is a group of large rocks and boulders with inscriptions; representing animal figures and tribal brandings that include a figure of small camel with a big hump, long ears and hind legs in bas-relief, with a blank spot in the middle. Under this small camel is a figure of a knight on a horse. In addition, there are several rocks and boulders scattered over the slopes of the valley featuring various tribal brandings, some associated with animal figures.

These inscriptions are suggestive that the valley was once well watered and a rest-place, populated by more than tribes, as attested by the wide range of petroglyphs.

The forms of camels, horses and tribal brandings are a common phenomenon that occurs across Saudi Arabia. It is rare to come across such a site void of inscriptions.

These inscriptions date back to the late second millennium B.C, incised in the same period due to the homogeneous patina.
:up:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've tried to like your inputs, but failed to find the icon.
It's in the bottom left-hand corner of every post - next to the 'Thank' button.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never knew before that valleys have banks. Rivers have banks, but valleys? I never knew before that rocks come in groups. And what's the difference between a large rock and a boulder?

You seem to have contradicted yourself at least once. And some of that just plain doesn't make sense. I suggest that you try something less challenging.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There are a lot of corrections still to be made. Here are just three easy-to-fix ones:

1) Remove the semicolon from the first sentence.

2) Change are suggestive to suggest.

3) rest-place is not right. You apparently mean resting place.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my humble opinion, it would be better to post just one paragraph at a time.

ayidh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you all, Rover, Jutfrank, and Tarheel, for your help and additions.

On the western [STRIKE]bank [/STRIKE]side of Hamdh Valley, there are several hills and boulders with inscriptions representing animal figures and tribal brandings that include a figure of small camel with a big hump, long ears and hind legs in bas-relief, with a blank spot in the middle. Under this small camel is a figure of a knight on a horse. In addition, there are several rocks and boulders scattered over the slopes of the valley featuring various tribal brandings, some associated with animal figures.

These inscriptions suggest that the valley was once well watered and a rest-place, populated by more than tribes, as attested by the wide range of petroglyphs.

These inscriptions date back to the late second millennium B.C, incised in the same period due to the homogeneous patina.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you all, Rover, Jutfrank, and Tarheel, for your help and additions.

On the western side of Hamdh Valley, there are several hills and boulders with inscriptions representing animal figures and tribal brandings that include a figure of a small camel with a big hump, long ears and hind legs in bas-relief, with a blank spot in the middle. Under this small camel is a figure of a knight on a horse. In addition, there are several rocks and boulders scattered over the slopes of the valley featuring various tribal brandings, some associated with animal figures.

These inscriptions suggest that the valley was once well watered and a resting place, populated by more than tribes, as attested by the wide range of petroglyphs.

The forms of camels, horses and tribal brandings are a common phenomenon that occurs across Saudi Arabia.
These inscriptions date back to the late second millennium B.C.

My suggestions. (Note the edits.)

Much improved!

(I'm not sure what you mean by "more than tribes".)

Last edited by a moderator:

ayidh

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
My suggestions. (Note the edits.)

Much improved!

(I'm not sure what you mean by "more than tribes".)

Thank you, Tarheel, for you follow-up.

more than tribes = that the area was populated not only by a tribe but more than that.That is, populated by many tribes

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you, Tarheel, for your follow-up.

more than tribes = that the area was populated not only by a single tribe but by more than that.That is, [STRIKE]populated by[/STRIKE]
many tribes

Don't use more than tribes. Ever. Say the area was occupied by:

more than one tribe

Or

several tribes

Or

many tribes

Status
Not open for further replies.