hang it around the neck of every human being.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you have any idea what hang it around the neck of every human being. means? This is like a myth or a fairy tale, but I'm curious if you know what it means. Does it mean Adam's apple or something?

ex)...One myth tells how a group of gods had a meeting to decide where to hide the "truth of the universe" from people. The first god suggested putting it under the ocean, but the others shouted him down, saying that people would build an underwater boat to take themselves there to find it. A second god suggested hiding it on a planet far from the earth, but the other gods realized that a craft might be built to reach this destination as well. Fianlly, a third god suggested that they hang it around the neck of every human being. The other gods agreed that people would never look at it for the truth. So they did exactly as the third god had suggested....

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
My interpretation is this:

The gods wanted to hide the truth of the universe from people. They couldn't find the right place until the third god, who knew the human nature best, suggested the human neck as the right place. He knew that humans always want to find out everything about the world around them and they would find the truth of universe if it were hidden anywhere outside them. He also knew that humans are not inclined to look for the truth in themselves. Thus, the best place to hide it is on their bodies, where they won't ever try to look for it.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My interpretation is this:

The gods wanted to hide the truth of the universe from people. They couldn't find the right place until the third god, who knew the human nature best, suggested the human neck as the right place. He knew that humans always want to find out everything about the world around them and they would find the truth of universe if it were hidden anywhere outside them. He also knew that humans are not inclined to look for the truth in themselves. Thus, the best place to hide it is on their bodies, where they won't ever try to look for it.

I'm sorry but you went in a wrong direction,my question was what the neck means.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
A neck is the part of body that joins your head with the rest of your body.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sorry but you went in a wrong direction,my question was what the neck means.

You know what a 'neck' is, don't you? The argument was that the best place to hide the truth of the universe was to attach it to a string or chain of some sort and loop it over each person's head so that it 'hung aroung their neck'. A more commonly used idiom that refers to a place that is obvious but can escape notice is 'under one's nose': 'Doh. I've been looking for this book for ages and it was here all the time - right under my nose.' A more literary reinforcing word is 'under one's very nose'.

b

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You know what a 'neck' is, don't you? The argument was that the best place to hide the truth of the universe was to attach it to a string or chain of some sort and loop it over each person's head so that it 'hung aroung their neck'. A more commonly used idiom that refers to a place that is obvious but can escape notice is 'under one's nose': 'Doh. I've been looking for this book for ages and it was here all the time - right under my nose.' A more literary reinforcing word is 'under one's very nose'.

b

So, some kind of necklace means where the truth was held so that people can't reconize it, I know its physical meaning, but is it a fable or does it have any idiomatic use known to people? Have you heard of this story? Is it familiar to people?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not an idiom. The story is faintly familiar - the idea of hiding something in the most obvious place is common to many folk tales. As I said, 'under one's nose' is common.

b

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It could be a story translated from another language, in which this could have some kind of idiomatic usage.

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, some kind of necklace means where the truth was held so that people can't reconize it, I know its physical meaning, but is it a fable or does it have any idiomatic use known to people? Have you heard of this story? Is it familiar to people?
I am not a teacher.

There is no concrete symbolism in the neck thing; this is not a creation myth like how the tiger got his stripes or anything like that. I would call it a parable about self-awareness. It is not a well-known story where I come from---it is not at all part of the cultural landscape here. I have never heard it before, and the presence of a spaceship in it dates it to quite recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.