[Grammar] Has anyone told me how to distinguish between these two ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lllllll

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Albania
I didn't used to
I didn't use to

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And if you want to avoid the issue, you can use "I used not + bare infinitive".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that your title should have been "Can anyone tell me ...?" Also, it should have included "didn't use to/didn't used to". The latter would have been an appropriate title on its own, and the question starting "Can anyone tell me ...?" should have appeared in the main body of your post.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
And if you want to avoid the issue, you can use "I used not + bare infinitive".
I'm pretty certain that emsr2d2 meant to write "full infinitive" instead.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had a feeling someone would say that but I meant what I said. When I was acquiring English, we said "I used not eat fish ..." etc, never "I used not to eat fish ...".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I was acquiring English, we said "I used not eat fish ..." etc, never "I used not to eat fish ...".

?!

Where on Earth did you acquire that from?!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In response to post #8: Here is some context for those quotations. I'm not entirely sure the writers here are the most proficient users of English.

The flour they used have hada very dark colour. The people were very healthy then because they used eat the crusts of the bread as well as the rest of the cake.They had hardly ever any toothaches. They didn't like sweet cakes. They used eat cakes made from bran.

I used to be under extreme stress from work and school between April and May.
In June, for the whole month, I used not eat anything until 1 pm and I often felt pain in my stomach.
I used also drink several cans of coke in empty stomach

Although soya is a popular healthy additive to food today, its believed that long time ago, some people used not eat soybeans as compared to other beans because they knew that soya beans contained harmful substances.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
?!

Where on Earth did you acquire that from?!

Well, basically from everyone around me who spoke English! Notwithstanding the proficiency or otherwise of the writers, all of the examples in Piscean's post sound natural to me.

I will happily concede that, if I'm in a minority of one on this, learners should discouraged from using it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Fair enough.

"used not + full infinitive" it is then.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, basically from everyone around me who spoke English!

I find this fascinating and utterly mindboggling how I've got to the age I have and never ever even once noticed this usage. I'm especially surprised since I'm fairly sure you didn't grow up speaking a dialect that I'm not familiar with. Was this in the Greater London area in the late 70s and 80s? Are you really saying it was not just your family but also your wider community who used it? I don't mean to sound like I'm doubting you, it's just that I find this bizarre for several reasons.

I would be very interested to know whether Rover, Tdol, teechar and any other BrE-speaking members are aware of it. (Piscean—I assume from your previous post you also are?) I also assume (possibly wrongly) that it is a uniquely British thing, right? Possibly generational as well? And does the lack of to work only in the negative?

I think we can all agree that learners should definitely not be encouraged to use it!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm pretty sure that my relatively standard Home Counties English isn't an obscure dialect! I don't recall any specific examples of anyone in the wider community using the full infinitive but I can't say for certain that they didn't. Bear in mind that when I refer to my acquiring my own language, I'm talking of course about when I was a toddler so I'm pretty sure I wasn't listening out for people using language I would find odd! Also, it's very likely that "I didn't use to + infinitive" was (and still is) more common.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm pretty sure that my relatively standard Home Counties English isn't an obscure dialect!

Yes, exactly. That's partly why it seems so odd to me.

Would it typically be used in a contracted form, as in usedn't be ...?

Also, it's very likely that "I didn't use to + infinitive" was (and still is) more common.

Yes, it is. There's no doubt.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I missed the last question. Yes, the lack of "to" only works in the negative. (Of course I wouldn't say "I used eat fish".) Having said that, I don't think I've ever used it in the interrogative but if I had to convert it, I would convert it to "Used you not eat fish?"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.