Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I rephrase "have a rest" or does it sound natural? If it sounds unnatural, what would you use instead? I used both "for/on".

"It's a beautiful place where people can have a rest and enjoy the beautiful view and go for/on a picnic."

I don't have any particular place in mind.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Stick with "rest". Replace the first "and" with a comma. I'd use "have a picnic".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Stick with "rest". Replace the first "and" with a comma. I'd use "have a picnic".
Do you mean "have" before "rest" is unnecessary?
Could you tell me please if "go for/on a picnic" is wrong?

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Should I rephrase "have a rest" or does it sound natural? If it sounds unnatural, what would you use instead? I used both "for/on".

"It's a beautiful place where people can [STRIKE]have a rest[/STRIKE] relax, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] enjoy the beautiful view and [STRIKE]go for/on[/STRIKE] have a picnic."

I don't have any particular place in mind.

Suggestions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see no need to replace rest with have a rest.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean "have" before "rest" is unnecessary?
Could you tell me please if "go for/on a picnic" is wrong?

Yes, that's what I mean. As you can see, Yankee made exactly the same changes I suggested, and Tarheel sees no reason for "have a". There is nothing wrong with "go on a picnic". I'm not keen on "go for a picnic" but it's not wrong. It's just that most BrE speakers say "Shall we have a picnic?" or similar.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, that's what I mean. As you can see, Yankee made exactly the same changes I suggested, and Tarheel sees no reason for "have a". There is nothing wrong with "go on a picnic". I'm not keen on "go for a picnic" but it's not wrong. It's just that most BrE speakers say "Shall we have a picnic?" or similar.

Would you use "have" in other situations?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you use "have" in other situations?

What sort of other situations do you have in mind? Are you talking about "have a rest" or "have a picnic"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
What sort of other situations do you have in mind? Are you talking about "have a rest" or "have a picnic"?

Oh, sorry. I was talking about "having a rest".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmm, yes, we would use that in different situations but I'm struggling to work out why. Here are some example sentences with "rest" and "have a rest" (of course, the main difference is that in one, "rest" is a verb and in the other, it's a noun).

- It's no good. I'm exhausted. Can we sit on this park bench? I need to have a rest.
- All I want to do on holiday is rest and read.
- I'll be ready in about half an hour. I'm just going to have a little rest before dinner.
- She looks knackered. I think she needs to rest.

OK, now that I've written those out, I would say that "rest" suggests a longer period of doing nothing, whereas "have a rest" usually suggests a shorter period.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hmm, yes, we would use that in different situations but I'm struggling to work out why. Here are some example sentences with "rest" and "have a rest" (of course, the main difference is that in one, "rest" is a verb and in the other, it's a noun).

- It's no good. I'm exhausted. Can we sit on this park bench? I need to have a rest.
- All I want to do on holiday is rest and read.
- I'll be ready in about half an hour. I'm just going to have a little rest before dinner.
- She looks knackered. I think she needs to rest.

OK, now that I've written those out, I would say that "rest" suggests a longer period of doing nothing, whereas "have a rest" usually suggests a shorter period.

In my context I was talking about a longer "rest". I see. Thanks a million!

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't see anything unnatural or ungrammatical in have a rest or take a rest.

But "have a" and "take a" are not needed and make the sentence wordier.

I wouldn't use "go for" or "go on" there because the sentence contains a series. People can:

- rest.

- enjoy the view.

- have a picnic.

That series list things you can do when you're already there, and if you're already there, then you don't have to go have a picnic. You're already there, so you can just have a picnic.

Status
Not open for further replies.