Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have filled out the text below, but I was wondering whether it is possible in number 26 to use past simple (didn't you hear)? Is he referring to the general knowledge here? I know the difference between the present perfect and past simple but for some reason I think both answers would be correct.

“Well, if I (15) were (be) you,” he said, “I (16) would catch (catch) the coach. That should get you to Portsmouth before the ferry (17) sails (sail). But you (18) have (have) to hurry, it (19) leaves (leave) the bus station in about five minutes!”.
We shot off like lightning despite the heavy rucksacks on our backs and jumped on the coach just as the driver (20) was shutting (shut) the doors. We (21) had just collapsed (just collapse) in our seats with a sigh of relief, when the driver announced, “Sorry everyone but the motorway (22) is still being repaired (still repair) so we (23) won't get (not get) to Portsmouth until 9.45”.
We groaned in despair. That gave us only fifteen minutes to get to the ferry terminal.
We arrived at Portsmouth bus station at 9.40 and jumped straight into a taxi.
“The Santander ferry terminal and please hurry” I shouted, “or it (24) will go (go) before we (25) get (get) there!”
To our astonishment, the taxi driver calmly switched off the engine and turned round.
“(26) Haven't you heard (not hear)?” he said, smiling, “the ferry workers (27) came (come) out on strike last night!”
“Oh no!” I cried in disbelief. “If only I (28) had listened (listen) to the news this morning!”

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have filled out the text below, but I was wondering whether it is possible in number 26 to use past simple (didn't you hear)?

“Well, if I (15) were (be) you,” he said, “I (16) would catch (catch) the coach. That should get you to Portsmouth before the ferry (17) sails (sail). But you (18) have (have) to hurry, it (19) leaves (leave) the bus station in about five minutes!”.
We shot off like lightning despite the heavy rucksacks on our backs and jumped on the coach just as the driver (20) was shutting (shut) the doors. We (21) had just collapsed (just collapse) in our seats with a sigh of relief, when the driver announced, “Sorry everyone but the motorway (22) is still being repaired (still repair) so we (23) won't get (not get) to Portsmouth until 9.45”.
We groaned in despair. That gave us only fifteen minutes to get to the ferry terminal.
We arrived at Portsmouth bus station at 9.40 and jumped straight into a taxi.
“The Santander ferry terminal and please hurry” I shouted, “or it (24) will go (go) before we (25) get (get) there!”
To our astonishment, the taxi driver calmly switched off the engine and turned round.
“(26) Haven't you heard (not hear)?” he said, smiling, “the ferry workers (27) came (come) out on strike last night!”
“Oh no!” I cried in disbelief. “If only I (28) had listened (listen) to the news this morning!”

That's great. They're all correct. "Haven't you heard?" is what I would use, although I know some people use "Didn't you hear?"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To me, they're different questions , though some speakers in certain parts of the world have decided - perhaps with reason - that the difference is too slight to bother with. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.