[Grammar] Having completed the English assessments ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANAU

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

I have constructed below sentence myself. Please helpto check if it is correct.

“ Having completed the English assessments, which my mother insisted that I do this morning,
I hurriedly left the house for my lunch break. ”

Last edited:
Re: Participial Phrase and Subjunctive form

It's fine.

It seems as if the relative clause is non-defining, so put a comma before it to make it clear.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

OK Rover_KE, I will take note for future posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did, not I do.

I did, not I do.

Hi tedmc,

But I have just learnt that " insisted that" is subjunctive mood so the verb that follows will be the base verb in simple present tense.

OK, you are right.

Please stop putting a space after opening quotation marks. I'm getting bored of correcting it.

Please stop putting a space after opening quotation marks. I'm getting bored of correcting it.

Hi emsr2d2,

Sorry for making this same mistake since my first post. I will pay special attention not to overlook again. Please do not give up on me because I still need your help very much.:)

Hi.

I [STRIKE]have constructed[/STRIKE] wrote the sentence below. [STRIKE]sentence myself.[/STRIKE]

Please [STRIKE]help
space here to[/STRIKE] check if it is correct.

I'm not giving up on you, but you must learn to take note of our corrections and then make sure you don't repeat them. Look at my corrections above carefully.

1. Put a full stop after "Hi".
2. You didn't need the present perfect or the verb "construct". Just say "I wrote".
3. The standard word order is "the sentence(s) below".
4. You don't need to keep trying to use "Please help me to ...". Just say "Please correct my sentence(s)" or "Please check my sentence(s) for errors".

I noticed in post #1 of this thread that not only did you put a space after your opening quotation marks but you also put a space before the closing quotation marks. Both spaces were wrong.

I'm not giving up on you, but you must learn to take note of our corrections and then make sure you don't repeat them. Look at my corrections above carefully.

1. Put a full stop after "Hi".
2. You didn't need the present perfect or the verb "construct". Just say "I wrote".
3. The standard word order is "the sentence(s) below".
4. You don't need to keep trying to use "Please help me to ...". Just say "Please correct my sentence(s)" or "Please check my sentence(s) for errors".

I noticed in post #1 of this thread that not only did you put a space after your opening quotation marks but you also put a space before the closing quotation marks. Both spaces were wrong.

Thank you, emsr2d2. I have understood the four points that you highlighted and explained. I will take note of them and avoid making the same mistake.

Hi tedmc,

But I have just learnt that " insisted that" is subjunctive mood

That's not necessarily the case.

"Insist" is one of a few verbs that can take subjunctive clauses as complement or non-subjunctive ones. Each of these is possible:

[1] "... which my mother insisted that I do this morning. [subjunctive]
[2] "... which my mother insisted that I did this morning. [non-subjunctive]

Hi tedmc,
so the verb that follows will be the base verb in simple present tense

The terms 'base' and 'simple present tense' are contradictory. A verb can’t be both at the same time -- it's either one or the other. A subjunctive clause like that in [1] has a plain (base) form verb, not a simple present tense form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back