Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations continued, having evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50465337
Regarding the underlined part, does it mean that the demonstrations continued and have evolved into a broader protest?

2. The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations continued, evolving into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.
If I use ‘evolving’ to replace ‘having evolve’ as showed above, would it mean ‘the demonstrations continued and was still in the process of evolving into a broader protest’?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think there is no difference in the two versions. Saying something has evolved does not mean the process has stopped.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations continued, having evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50465337
Regarding the underlined part, does it mean that the demonstrations continued and have evolved into a broader protest?
Yes.

2. The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations continued, evolving into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.
If I use ‘evolving’ to replace ‘having evolve’ as showed above, would it mean ‘the demonstrations continued and were still in the process of evolving into a broader protest’?

The demonstrations continued, but their purpose had changed.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You've understood the basic difference, yes.

The perfect aspect is a way to suggest that the evolution into a broader protest was complete at the time the bill was withdrawn.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1 states that the evolving had happened prior to the bill being withdrawn. 2 suggests that the evolving was a reaction to the withdrawal. They're not the same.

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1 states that the evolving had happened prior to the bill being withdrawn.
Thank you all for your succinct replies.
Based on your interpretation, can I rewrite the first sentence as:
The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations, which have evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, continued.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"have evolved ... continue" or "had evolved ... continued."

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"have evolved ... continue" or "had evolved ... continued."
Sorry about my mistake.
If I rewrite the first sentence as:
(3) The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations, which had evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, continued, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.

and if (3) is compared with my original (1),
(1) The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations continued, having evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.

will the meaning keep the same?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I rewrite the first sentence as:
(3) The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations, which had evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, continued, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.

and if (3) is compared with my original (1),
(1) The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations continued, having evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality, and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing.

will the meaning [STRIKE]keep[/STRIKE] remain the same?
You've lost the thread. Do you see something missing in the part I've underlined? (An unnecessary comma makes sentence 1 harder to follow.)

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You've lost the thread. Do you see something missing in the part I've underlined? (An unnecessary comma makes sentence 1 harder to follow.)
It should have been:The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations, which had evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing, continued.

Is the meaning of the above remain the same, though a bit awkwardly worded?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should have been: The bill was eventually withdrawn, but the demonstrations, which had evolved into a broader protest against alleged police brutality and the way Hong Kong is administered by Beijing, continued.

[STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Does the meaning of the above remain the same, though a bit awkwardly worded?
Yes. That's a complicated sentence. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.