Having shed enough of its history to look outward and prosper in Europe, Ireland has retained enough, up to now, ...

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good evening everyone,

I'm currently practicing with social and political English texts translation and reading the book published by Moscow State University of International Relationships (MGIMO University, Moscow, Russia). The book is entitled "Difficulties of Translation of Socio Political Text from English into Russian".

The sentence is as follows: "Having shed enough of its history to look outward and prosper in Europe, Ireland has retained enough, up to now, to ameliorate the strains of rapid social change. This is a balance that will be difficult to preserve".

I'm trying to understand the sentence completely. I doubt what the phrase "Having shed enough of its history to look outward and prosper in Europe ..." means. Do they mean that Ireland has gained much experience in its history and is currently using (going to use) this experience to prosper as a European country (among other European countries)? By saying "Ireland has retained enough ... " do they mean that Ireland has managed to preserve (retain) its potential and power in order to ameliorate the strains....?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't have any idea how you shed your history. Frankly, it looks like gobbledegook to me. Maybe one out other members can shed some light on it.