Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He dare try, daren't he?

I read this sentence in a grammar book. Is it good English with 'dare try' used in the positive structure?

Thank you in advance.

(Not A Teacher)

That is an incredibly bizarre statement. Is this exactly how it's written in your grammar book?

Maybe they meant "He dares to try, doesn't he?"

To answer your question, no, not really. Unless it's posed as a question with "do" or "does".
"Do you dare face me in honorable combat?"
"Does he dare defy the Emperor's edict?"

Otherwise, you need an infinitve.
"I dare to dream."
"He dared to face the warlord on his home turf."

Last edited:
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

I have found an erudite post by Casiopea (she's a native English speaker; a Canadian, if I remember correctly) on "marginal modal" dare being privy to both auxiliary and main verb classes. I think many learners will find that post useful. ;-)

I would also like to quote from BobK's answer:

There is a difference in register; the modal forms are more often used in rhetoric or in literary contexts. I get the impression that these modal usages are becoming less common.

He dare try, daren't he?

I read this sentence in a grammar book. Is it good English with 'dare try' used in the positive structure?

Thank you in advance.

Not acceptable in contemporary usage, where the modal form of 'dare' in a main clause is restricted to interrogative and negative VPs (Dare I ask? He daren't face me, etc.)

*NOT A TEACHER*

We can't use 'dare' like a modal verb when used in a positive sentence. For this reason we have to use with 'to'.

He dares to try, doesn't he?

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back