Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As far as I know the word sinewy means "thin but strong", so if I say "he's a sinewy", the image I have in mind is this:
sinewy-body-mature-man-tree-260nw-2018724134.jpg

(His body is thin and the muscles are visible. You can see his tendons).

But whenever I google the adjective, Google returns way more pictures of bulkier men:
depositphotos_96129870-stock-photo-brutal-man-in-gym.jpg

(He's not thin by my standards, not as veiny as the previous guy, and he's way bulkier and more muscular).

So what does the word actually mean? Veiny? In good shape? With visible tendons?

Last edited:
Much more common than sinewy, at least where I live, is wiry. Both sinewy and wiry mean strong without being big and bulky. I repeat myself again on this point: people who expect Google to inprove their English are making a mistake.

I don't know if I've every heard 'sinewy' used to describe a person. 'Wiry' is the more common term for people.

Part of the idea behind 'wiry' is that their strength is deceptive. Just by looking at them, you wouldn't expect them to be particularly strong. It also has a element of toughness. I tend to think of a wiry person as being small in stature as well, certainly at least slender.

Perhaps someone like this fellow.

I think "sinewy" is an old-fashioned word for "muscular". (I am reminded of " The Village Blacksmith " by Longfellow.)

I don't know if I've every heard 'sinewy' used to describe a person.
What would you describe as sinewy then? Unchewable meat?

I doubt if I have ever used the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back