Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From the Mandarin Daily News]

(In the learning English section)
Let's Go to the Art Museum
Ernie found that there was going to be an exhibition of Andy Warhol in the art museum. He has heard of the name many times, but he has never seen any of his works in person. Therefore, he decided to ask his friends to go to the museum with him on the weekend.

[Source]
---
It looks weird to me to have both past form and present form in the description. I suppose that there should be just one form of them there. That is, either one of the following:

a. [the past form version]
Ernie found that there was going to be an exhibition of Andy Warhol in the art museum. He had heard of the name many times, but he had never seen any of his works in person. Therefore, he decided to ask his friends to go to the museum with him on the weekend.

b. [the present form version]
Ernie finds that there is going to be an exhibition of Andy Warhol in the art museum. He has heard of the name many times, but he has never seen any of his works in person. Therefore, he decides to ask his friends to go to the museum with him on the weekend.

What do you think?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think you should analyse this particular text.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Few texts prepared for elementary-level learners are completely natural, even when the texts have been prepared by native speakers. We can more usefully spend our time in other ways.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The choice of words is a bit odd. For example, I would say, "Ernie heard that there was going to be an Andy Warhol exhibit at the art museum." Then I might say, "He had heard of him and wanted to go see the exhibit."

I wouldn't say "He had heard of that name, but I might say "He had heard that name." (No "of".)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One more thing. Saying somebody decided to do something doesn't mean he did it. If he did it just say so. If not say why he didn't do it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to use "of", you need to use a pronoun instead of "the name".

He'd heard of him but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.