Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Which one seems natural to you?

1. He is also getting admitted into that coaching center.

2. He is also being admitted into that coaching center.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like "being".

Well then, what is happening?

I was telling one of my friends while talking on the phone that he (Himel) is getting admitted into a coaching center that we have wanted to.

Then you could say:

Himel has been accepted into the coaching center.
Himel has a place at the coaching center.

I was telling one of my friends while talking on the phone that he (Himel) is getting admitted into a coaching center that we have wanted to.

By the underlined part, do you mean that you and your friend also wanted to gain admission to that coaching center?

By the underlined part, do you mean that you and your friend also wanted to gain admission to that coaching center?

Yes "emsr2d2"

Then you could say:

Himel has been accepted into the coaching center.
Himel has a place at the coaching center.

I have used "admitted" here because in our country we get into a coaching center by paying money. I have heard that "accepted" is used only for university or college where I need to show my merit. If I'm wrong please correct me.

What's not clear is whether the admission is in the past, present or future.

Your choice of using the present continuous suggests that it's in the future, but I don't think that's what you mean. Which is it?

If you mean that the admission is in the past, then use the present perfect, in the passive voice, with be not get.

Last edited:
Yes "emsr2d2"

There's no need to put usernames in quotation marks. You should have written "Yes, emsr2d2."

I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] used "admitted" here because in our country we get into a coaching center by paying. [STRIKE]money.[/STRIKE] I have heard that "accepted" is used only for university or college [STRIKE]where I need to show my[/STRIKE] people get in on their own merit. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Note my corrections to two of your posts above.

The use of "admission" isn't restricted to places you get into based on ability. You could, for example, gain admission to a college course that was open to everyone but a place was given only to the first fifty people who applied, regardless of their ability.

Can we take it that you and your friend didn't get a place at the centre?

What's not clear is whether the admission is in the past, present or future.

Your choice of using the present continuous suggests that it's in the future, but I don't think that's what you mean. Which is it?

If you mean that the admission is in the past, then use the present perfect, in the passive voice, with be not get.

Actually I am confused about the using of present continuous here. I meant that his admission process is happening in front of me. Some people suggested me not to use continuous form because they said I can only know if he is admitted or not after the process is over. Can I say "He is also applying for an admission or enrollment to that coaching center" instead of those sentences?

I'm still not clear on the situation. His admission cannot be "happening in front of me". Admission is a single event, not a continuous one.

You apply. (Single event)
Your application is being considered. (Continuous event)
You are granted admission. (Single event)
You are denied admission. (Single event)

Only the time between making the application and the decision being given can be considered an ongoing situation. It's while the coaching centre is considering your application and deciding whether or not to give you a place.

Some people suggested me not to use continuous form because they said I can only know if he is admitted or not after the process is over.

Yes, those people are right. emsr2d2 has explained this very well in post #16.

I think what you mean to say is this:

He has applied to that coaching center.

Neither you nor Himel knows yet whether his application will be accepted. If it is accepted, he will be admitted after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back