[Grammar] He pretended as if he WAS/WERE/HAD BEEN sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is not my homework.

I read this sentence somewhere - He pretended as if he were sleeping.

I think that this is not grammatically correct. Because, as per my knowledge, if we talk about unreal situations, we use "past simple along with the exception that "were" is always used in place of was " tense for the situations of present that are unreal and past perfect for the unreal situations of past.

So if I take this as unreal situation, as it is the situation of past then it should be written as - He pretended as if he had been sleeping. If we take this as unreal situation of present, it should have been written as - He pretends as if he were sleeping.

Or even if we take this situation as real, "was" should have been used instead of "were" as- He pretended as if he was sleeping.

But I think that "He pretended as if he were sleeping" is not correct.

What are your views on this?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not colloquial.

He pretended to be asleep.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
or
He pretended he was asleep/sleeping.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I value your response. If I, strictly, have to write the sentence in the same pattern as I have mentioned, which would be correct?

Also, Is the question mark in the above sentence correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The question mark is correct. I'd say He pretended as if he was sleeping. It's clumsy, though; as if is unnecessary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I value your response. If I [STRIKE], strictly,[/STRIKE] have to write the sentence strictly in the same pattern [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] that I have mentioned, which would be correct?

Also, is the question mark in the above sentence correct?

Why would you have to write the sentence strictly in that pattern? Yes, the question mark was correct. Don't use a capital letter after a comma unless the word is a proper noun.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The pattern with as if doesn't work, so I would reject the pattern.

With regard to your distinction between the past and past perfect, I think that the underlying idea would be whether he had pretended to wake up, in which case the past perfect would be better, or whether he wanted the person to believe him to be still asleep. They are, all still incorrect, though:

He pretended to be asleep/He pretended that he was asleep. (Still pretending to be asleep)
He pretended that he had been asleep. (He hadn't been asleep but now was pretending to have woken up from a sleep)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Why would you have to write the sentence strictly in that pattern?" -To clarify the grammar rules for the sentences containing unreal situations.

Kindly see the sentence:- He talked as if he were a king. (The situation was not real as he was really not a king.)

If the above sentence is right then what's wrong with the sentence - He pretended as if he were sleeping. (Because still the situation was not real, he wasn't actually sleeping.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can't just put "as if" after any verb. It works with some. It doesn't work with others. It's fine after "talk". It doesn't work after "pretend".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Kindly see the sentence:- He talked as if he were a king. (The situation was not real as he was really not a king.)
If the above sentence is right then what's wrong with the sentence - He pretended as if he were sleeping. (Because still the situation was not real, he wasn't actually sleeping.)
"He talked as if he were a king." "He talked in the way that a king would talk - because kings talk in a certain distinct way."
"He pretended as if he were sleeping." "He pretended in the way that a sleeping person would pretend - because sleeping people pretend in a certain distinct way." No, sleeping people do not normally pretend.
These sentences are not analogues.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You may hear American children use pretend as if. Careful speakers would not use this construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.