He was running to his friend who lived next door.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This part is from a fiction story. It's about people who live in a village. Is "next door" correct in this context? It's a small part of a long story in which future main characters are first described. Does this piece sound idiomatic? I am not sure about *educational conversation*.

He was running to his friend who lived *next door.* The boys' favourite pastime was to sneak into their neighbours' yards at night , open the barns and by immitating howling wolves terrify their neighbours. The boys were nicknamed little wolves for that and were joined by other children as well. As the number of little wolves increased they brought horror to the villagers until Janni had an *educational conversation* with each child that left each of them especially Lenno with a pain in his ears and sides and strands of hair covering his red cheeks. Not every child was willing to repeat the joke anymore, except for Lenno and his faithful friend who kept playing wolves at night, but with lesser enthusiasm.
"Ah, it's you," asked Joe with feigned naivety.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This part The following is an extract from a fictional story. It's about some/the people who live in a village. Is "next door" correct in this context? It's a small part of a longer story in which future main characters are first described at the beginning. Does this piece sound idiomatic? I am not sure about *educational conversation*.

He was running towards his friend who lived next door. The boys' favourite pastime was to sneaking into their neighbours' yards at night, open opening the barns barn doors and by imitating howling wolves to terrify their neighbours. As a result/Consequently, the boys were nicknamed "little wolves. for that and Sometimes, they were joined by other children. as well. As the number of "little wolves" increased, they brought horror terror/fear to the villagers until Janni had an *educational a "conversation" with each child that left each of them (especially Lenno) with a pain ringing in his their ears and sides and strands of hair covering his their red cheeks. Not every child was Most of the children were unwilling to repeat the joke prank, anymore, except for Lenno and his faithful friend, who kept playing wolves at night, but with lesser less enthusiasm.
"Ah, it's you," asked said Joe with feigned naivety.
Note my corrections above. I don't understand how the final sentence fits with the rest. Who is Joe? If he's the friend who lives next door, you need to name him in the opening sentence. Joe didn't ask anything. "Ah, it's you" is a declarative sentence, not a question.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Note my corrections above. I don't understand how the final sentence fits with the rest. Who is Joe? If he's the friend who lives next door, you need to name him in the opening sentence. Joe didn't ask anything. "Ah, it's you" is a declarative sentence, not a question.
Can I use "He was running away to see his friend who lived nearby?" He wasn't really running towards his friend. His friend wasn't present.

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
You forgot to mention the source and author of your passage, Rachel.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say he ran to his friend's house, which was next door.