Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi all,
Currently I'm teaching English to middle school students (7th -9th graders) in my home country.
I'd like to ask about the use of "guys". Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to say, "Good morning, guys" or "Hello, guys" instead of saying "Good morning, everyone" or "Hello, everybody" as I heard my teachers say to us?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,
Currently I'm teaching English to middle school students (7th-9th graders) in my home country.
I'd like to ask about the use of "guys". Do you think it is appropriate for teachers to say, "Good morning, guys" or "Hello, guys" instead of saying "Good morning, everyone" or "Hello, everybody" as I heard my teachers say to us?

I always recommend that people avoid the use of "guys" to mixed groups unless they are your own friends and you know that it's an acceptable phrase to all of them. The generation of children born from about 2000 onwards are far more likely to be sensitive about the use of any gender-specific terminology.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This question is best addressed to your colleagues in the staffroom or your headteacher.

We can only guess at the level of formality expected of teachers in your school.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it's fine, yes. I think it's up to the teacher to decide the level of formality in his/her classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.