Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Hi

Could you please tell me if the underlined part is fully natural? It's my sentence.

Hira sneezed, letting out a jet of phlegm that landed on the book her boss had been holding.

Thanks,

Tom

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

Could you please tell me if the underlined part is fully natural? It's my sentence.

Hira sneezed, letting out a jet of phlegm that landed on the book her boss had been/was holding.

Thanks. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
Tom Unnecessary. We can see your username on all your posts.
I don't know what you mean by "fully natural". It's grammatically correct and it's certainly evocative! I'm not sure that "letting" is quite strong enough for the image. You could use "forcing out" or "ejecting" instead.
With regard to my annotation to the verb after "her boss", it depends whether the boss was still holding the book when the phlegm landed on it. If so, use "was". If they'd been holding it shortly beforehand but it was no longer in their hand, use "had been".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Letting out" is too mild for the image. Try something like 'blowing', 'flinging' or 'shooting'.

Some other possibilities that reinforce the (undesired) sharing:
broadcasting
delivering
sending

Some verbs that emphasize the idea of volume and coverage:
spraying
scattering
squirting