Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I understand the meaning of the word "hit", which in football it means kick the ball. But here it's sort of awkward. "Hit" should be used with the object "the ball", however the writers uses it with "the post" instead. Does the writer leave out "the ball?" This sentence should be "Jon Stead hits the ball the post" or Jon Stead's shot hit the post", where the word "shot" is also omitted. Could you explain what I'm right? Also, the "thunder" means hit the ball hard. But the writer uses it with "opportunity". So the sentence would mean "kick a opportunity". Clearly, it doesn't make any sense.

Rovers striker Jon Stead hit the post and thundered another good opportunity over the bar before Jason Euell ran on to a Di Canio flick-on to jab the ball past Friedel.’

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Hit" should be used with the object "the ball",
Not necessarily.
This sentence should be "Jon Stead hits the ball the post"
That is incorrect.

If I throw, shoot, or otherwise project something, and that something hits another object, than I can say 'I hit the other object'.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
But I think the writer also omits "shot" there - Jon Stead (shot) hit the bar.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Kontol, you must be aware that sports commentaries have to be terse, concise, and interestingly descriptive, using metaphors and fixed expressions which regular listeners/readers soon come to recognise.

You clearly understood that Stead's shot hit the post—not the player himself. That's all the commentator needs to convey. If you expect him to go on to say 'He had another good opportunity to score but kicked the ball really hard over the bar before Jason Euell ...', that would be unnecessarily wordy and less interesting.

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
"Thunder" is combined with "opportunity". So "he thundered a good opportunity" means he kicked hard a good opportunity. It sounds strange. How do you paraphrase it?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is very florid language indeed, but remember that one football match is very like another. Broadcasters and sports writers spice up their language to make it more interesting or less boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.