Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi teachers! I would like to ask a question about the usage of the article a in this sentence below.

hoard then resells for (a) higher price.
Is the article needed here? And is it also correct to use the word and instead of then?

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)
What you quoted is not a complete sentence. However, to answer your question about the article:
Because "price" is a singular countable noun, it requires some kind of determiner. Here, the indefinite article "a" does the job.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have given your thread a new title @Yb167. 'Sentences' gave us no idea of what the thread was about.

Yb167

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I have given your thread a new title @Yb167. 'Sentences' gave us no idea of what the thread was about

Oh, I'm sorry about that. I was really planning to change the title after rereading my post but I couldn't do it because I'm still kind of new here and have no idea how to do so. My mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You have 24 hours to change a thread title by clicking 'Edit'.

Yb167

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
You have 24 hours to change a thread title by clicking 'Edit'.
Is it still possible to change it by myself after 24 hours or do I need to message a staff to get them to change it for me?

Yb167

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)
What you quoted is not a complete sentence. However, to answer your question about the article:
Because "price" is a singular countable noun, it requires some kind of determiner. Here, the indefinite articl
It's a caption I happened to see from one of my friends while scrolling on FB and I think he meant to say "hoard and resell for a higher price" which is imperative. However, I don't really remember what the post was about and the only thing I remember is the caption. I'll try to find it if i still can. I should've stated this from the start. I apologize if it caused some confusion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it still possible to change it by myself after 24 hours or do I need to message a staff to get them to change it for me?
You can do it yourself for only 24 hours after posting. After that, a moderator/editor would have to do it. We're pretty good at spotting inappropriate or useless titles and changing them for users.