realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
These days, I watch movies and series in English with English subtitles, watch videos in English on YouTube, write diary in English, Do online chats in English and note to-do lists in English. What should I do more to use English like educated natives? I want to become an international relation officer in my country.

PS. I have been learning English on YouTube. Do I have to spend some years living in an English speaking country?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These days, I watch movies and series in English with English subtitles, watch videos in English on YouTube, write a diary in English, do online chats in English and write to-do lists in English. What should I do more to use English like educated natives? I want to become an international relations officer in my country.

PS. I have been learning English on YouTube. Do I have to spend some years living in an English speaking country?
Considering where you started (knowing practically nothing about the language, presumably), you've come a long long way. What you have to do now to get to the next level depends on what you have to work on the most and on the resources you have available. One thing for sure is instead of avoiding conversations because you don't know the language perfectly you to do the opposite. (My opinion.)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
These days, I watch movies and series in English with English subtitles, watch videos in English on YouTube, write a/my diary in English, do online chats in English, and write note to-do lists in English. What more should I do more to learn how to use English like educated natives native speakers? I want to become an international relations officer in my country.

PS. I have been learning English on YouTube. Do I have to spend some years living in an English-speaking country?
Please note my changes above.

Living in an English-speaking country would certainly be a huge boost to your English usage (the same goes for anyone trying to learn a foreign language). Are there any language exchange programmes or English language meet-ups in your local area? Have you considered finding a native English speaker and paying them for conversation classes? Your listening comprehension will be improving through your use of movies, TV series and videos, and the other things you do are clearly helping with your written English, but none of them will be improving your spoken English.

realpaoz

Member Type
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Please note my changes above.

Living in an English-speaking country would certainly be a huge boost to your English usage (the same goes for anyone trying to learn a foreign language). Are there any language exchange programmes or English language meet-ups in your local area? Have you considered finding a native English speaker and paying them for conversation classes? Your listening comprehension will be improving through your use of movies, TV series and videos, and the other things you do are clearly helping with your written English, but none of them will be improving your spoken English.
It's hard to find native english speakers here during the pandemic.
PS. by educated natives, I mean educated native speakers.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's It was hard to find native English speakers here during the pandemic.
P.S. By "educated natives", I mean "educated native speakers".
I'm sure it was hard during the pandemic but almost all restrictions have been lifted now. I just checked the current situation in Thailand and found that there are no ongoing lockdowns, and the only restriction is wearing a mask in some public buildings. I imagine it would be quite easy for you to find a teacher or someone to chat with now.
I removed the word "educated" from your piece because it sounded rather snobby. Also, "educated" doesn't really mean anything. Most people here completed full-time education up to the age of 16 or 18, and some chose to go to university. I can assure you that speaking English like a native speaker doesn't mean you have to emulate a particular strand of society.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your goal should be to be able to speak clearly and intelligibly.

Reducing your accent is key. You will never have no accent, just like my speaking Thai would never sound like a native speaker.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Considering where you started (knowing practically nothing about the language, presumably), you've come a long long way. What you have to do now to get to the next level depends on what you have to work on the most and on the resources you have available. One thing for sure is instead of avoiding conversations because you don't know the language perfectly you to do the opposite. (My opinion.)
You left a word out.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You appear to have written that to yoursef, Tarheel.
I know. It's way too late for me to edit it. That's the best I can do. 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.