Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello
I’d like someone to answer me whether to use the Past Simple Tense or the Present Perfect one in the following sentence:

(Resting in a chair, John looks up at the clock and realizes thirty minutes have passed)
How have thirty minutes passed already?!
OR
How did thirty minutes pass already?!
I know the difference between the two tenses, but there’s just something intriguing to me about this sentence. Also, I realize it could be paraphrased into a different sentence construction, but I’d be grateful if someone told me for this one.
Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.
I’d like someone to [STRIKE]answer[/STRIKE] tell me whether to use the past simple [STRIKE]Tense[/STRIKE] or the present perfect [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] in the following sentence:

(Resting in a chair, John looks up at the clock and realizes thirty minutes have passed.)

How have thirty minutes passed already?!
OR
How did thirty minutes pass already?!

I know the difference between the two tenses, but there’s just something intriguing to me about this sentence. Also, I realize it could be paraphrased [STRIKE]into a[/STRIKE] differently [STRIKE]sentence construction[/STRIKE], but I’d be grateful if someone [STRIKE]told[/STRIKE] would tell me [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] about this one.
Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. Remember to put a closing punctuation mark at the end of every sentence.

Both are possible. BrE (British English) speakers would favour the present perfect.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would prefer "......already passed", and ".....already "pass" in your examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.