Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ann to Jack : How many days do you get the off for every week?

Jack : I get a two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off after two days.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ann to Jack : How many days do you get [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] off [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] every week?

Jack : I get [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off after two days.

See above. The underlined part is incomprehensible. Use the names of the days of the week.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
More natural wording for the question: How many days off per week do you get?

Never put a space before a colon.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I missed the space before the colon. In addition, tufguy, you didn't need to write "Ann to Jack" for the first line. You just needed "Ann:". It's clear that she was talking to Jack when it's Jack who responds.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above. The underlined part is incomprehensible. Use the names of the days of the week.

Jack : I get a two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off on Thursday and Friday.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Jack : I get a two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off on Thursday and Friday.

You have made exactly the same errors in the opening line of the dialogue that you made in post #1. I corrected them in post #2. You have completely ignored GoesStation's advice about spacing before a colon in post #3 and my advice about not using "to Jack" in post #4.

Do you understand why sometimes we feel like we are wasting our time?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You have made exactly the same errors in the opening line of the dialogue that you made in post #1. I corrected them in post #2. You have completely ignored GoesStation's advice about spacing before a colon in post #3 and my advice about not using "to Jack" in post #4.

Ann:How many days do you get the off for every week?
Jack:I get a two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off on Thursday and Friday.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Actually I thought I would check for errors once I had posted the reply but I had forgotten that I was put on moderation. Once you have clicked "submit" you can't see your post. This is what happened but sorry.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ann:How many days do you get the off for every week?
Jack:I get a two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off on Thursday and Friday.

GoesStation only told you to remove the space before the colon. He did not tell you to remove the space after the colon.

I will give you one more opportunity to correct the errors I pointed out in post #2 (in Ann's words). If you repeat the same errors that you made in post #1 for a fourth time, I will close this thread.

Actually, I thought I would check for errors once I had posted the reply but I had forgotten that I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] have been put [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] into moderation. Once you have clicked "submit"​, you can't see your post. This is what happened but sorry.

Yes, I know what happens when you're in moderation. I strongly suggest that you check your posts very carefully for careless errors before you click "Submit".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
GoesStation only told you to remove the space before the colon. He did not tell you to remove the space after the colon.

I will give you one more opportunity to correct the errors I pointed out in post #2 (in Ann's words). If you repeat the same errors that you made in post #1 for a fourth time, I will close this thread.

Yes, I know what happens when you're in moderation. I strongly suggest that you check your posts very carefully for careless errors before you click "Submit".

Ann: How many days off do you get per week?
Jack: I get a two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow as well and I have two days off on Thursday and Friday.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, we have talked before about writing lines of dialogue. Here is another example.

Jack: How many days do you get off every week?
Mack: You know very well what the answer to that one is. You work at the same place I do.
Jack: Mack, I'm practicing. Humor me, will you?
Mack: OK. I get off two days a week.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ann: How many days off do you get per week? :tick:
Jack: I get [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] (no article here) two days off per week. I have a day off tomorrow [STRIKE]as well[/STRIKE] and I have [STRIKE]two days off on[/STRIKE] Thursday and Friday off.

Finally, Ann's line is correct. Note my corrections to Jack's sentences. I don't know why you keep putting "a" before "two days off". You wouldn't say "I have a two dogs", would you? Jack's part is still a bit wordier than a native speaker would say. For me, the dialogue would go like this:

Ann: How many days off do you get a week?
Jack: Three. This week, I'm off tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.

(Writing that out has made me realise the lack of logic in your original. If Jack only has two days off per week, how can he be off tomorrow and then also on Thursday and Friday?"

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Finally, Ann's line is correct. Note my corrections to Jack's sentences. I don't know why you keep putting "a" before "two days off". You wouldn't say "I have a two dogs", would you? Jack's part is still a bit wordier than a native speaker would say. For me, the dialogue would go like this:

Ann: How many days off do you get a week?
Jack: Three. This week, I'm off tomorrow, Thursday and Friday.

(Writing that out has made me realise the lack of logic in your original. If Jack only has two days off per week, how can he be off tomorrow and then also on Thursday and Friday?"

Because tomorrow is his EL (earned leave).

My friend had Saturday and Sunday off last week. This week he has Sunday and Monday off. Are these correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because tomorrow is his EL (earned leave).
I don't know what that means. Does it mean he is taking one day's annual leave tomorrow?

My friend had Saturday and Sunday off last week. This week, he has Sunday and Monday off. Are these correct?
With the addition of the comma, they are both correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then you would have to make that clear.

Ann: How many days do you get off every week?
Mack: Two, although this week I've got a day's leave on Wednesday and then Thursday and Friday are my days off.

Status
Not open for further replies.