How many students graduate from university totally unable to spell even simple English words correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinhPC

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
How many students graduate from university totally unable to spell even simple English words correctly?

Hello, is the above sentence grammatically correct? It seems strange to me. If so, what grammatical piece is it using? I would have written it like this instead.

How many students who graduate from university are totally unable to spell even simple English words correctly?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The original is correct. "totally unable to spell even simple English words correctly" is one long adjective describing the students in question. Your version is also grammatically correct but it's not an improvement on the original.

Let's use a shorter question:

How many children arrive at school tired?

To use "are", we would have to change the word order and add some words:

How many children are tired when they arrive at school?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, VinhPC.

Where did you find the original sentence? Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You might find it easier to understand with an omitted 'being' before the adjective phrase:

How many students graduate from university (being) totally unable to spell even simple English words correctly?

VinhPC

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Welcome to the forum, VinhPC.

Where did you find the original sentence? Always tell us the source and author of any text you quote, please.
Sorry, I'll remember from now on.
I got it from Vietnam's 2015 English Olympic exam.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
The original is correct. "totally unable to spell even simple English words correctly" is one long adjective describing the students in question. Your version is also grammatically correct but it's not an improvement on the original.

Let's use a shorter question:

How many children arrive at school tired?

To use "are", we would have to change the word order and add some words:

How many children are tired when they arrive at school?
Hello, emsr2d2. I see your sentence use "would" in "to use "are", we would have to change the word order and add some words" Could you explain why you use "would" instead of just saying "have to?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, emsr2d2. I see your sentence that you use used "would" in "to use "are", we would have to change the word order and add some words". Could you explain why you used "would" instead of just saying "have to?"
I treated it as a hypothetical. If you wanted to use "are", you would have to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.