Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The greatest percentage of homes without power is in Suwannee County, an inland area in Florida's north.

Source: Number of Floridians without power jumps to 265,000 by BBC

I just had an English class. In the class I read a writing and I had a question about sentence structure. I want to ask my teacher about that but I don't know how to describe the sentence. The above sentence is not related to the writing. I just take that for example.

My question is "how do I describe the sentence before the comma?" Preceding clause or sentence? Or should I just say the clause before the comma?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase you are looking for is "independent clause". That is, it would be a sentence all by itself without the additional information tacked on at the end.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The phrase you are looking for is "independent clause". That is, it would be a sentence all by itself without the additional information tacked on at the end.
How do you describe the part after the comma?
For example, I don’t understand the part before the comma and ask my teacher to clarify it, can I say “I don’t understand the part before the comma”?
If I don’t understand the part after the comma, can I say “ I don’t understand the part after the comma”?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those are OK.