How should I go about learning English living in a rural area in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousepotato

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Sir,
I'm currently residing at a village in northern part of India. People here generally speak a dialect which is exclusive to this part of country. Have they been speaking in a clear and used the words in a more diverse nature learning English could've been easier to learn. Let me explain in detail; people more frequently speak a local-language which is way difficult to translate from. They don't use variety of words in there sentences. I sometimes feel that the words they're using is actually made-up. Given my situation, I would like to know that how should I start learning English. Thanks beforehand.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. [STRIKE]Sir,[/STRIKE] Overly formal and it excludes all our female members.

I'm currently [STRIKE]residing[/STRIKE] living [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in a village in the northern part of India. People here generally speak a dialect which is exclusive to this part of the country. [STRIKE]Have[/STRIKE] If they [STRIKE]been speaking[/STRIKE] spoke [STRIKE]in a clear[/STRIKE] clearly and used [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] more diverse words, [STRIKE]in a more diverse nature[/STRIKE] learning English [STRIKE]could've[/STRIKE] would've been easier. [STRIKE]to learn.[/STRIKE]

Let me explain in detail; people [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] frequently speak a local (no hyphen here) [STRIKE]language[/STRIKE] dialect which is [STRIKE]way[/STRIKE] very difficult to translate from. They don't use a great variety of words in [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] their sentences. I sometimes feel that the words they're using [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are actually made-up. Given my situation, I would like to know [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] how [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] I should start learning English.

Thanks [STRIKE]beforehand[/STRIKE] in advance.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Well, you have clearly made a pretty good start learning English as your post wasn't too bad at all. My corrections are above.

I assume that this local dialect you refer to is mostly English-based. Do you have access to international TV and radio? If so, watching English language TV/films and listening to English-speaking radio are good ways to start learning natural English. You clearly have access to the internet so perhaps you can find a good online teacher. Also, there are a lot of good grammar resources online.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.