English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
If I am going to explain the use of "who" + the verb "be" in a chart. Which introduction is better?
a) How to identify people: Examples
b) How to name people: Examples

This is what I have after that and before the chart. Again, which one is better, "identity" or "name"?
To ask for the identity/name of a person in singular and plural we use:

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think either of your suggestions works if you're trying to teach people how to ask someone their name. Using "identify people" makes it sound as if you're trying to work out who they are without actually asking them. Using "name people" sounds as if you're discussing how to decide what name to give someone (such as when new parents have to decide what to name their baby).

I think you need "How to ask people their name" and "To ask someone their name (singular and plural), we use:"

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I think you need "How to ask people their name" and "To ask someone their name (singular and plural), we use:"
That's right. But, you have to think that this is for Chapter 1, beginners, and the students don't know possessive adjectives yet.
Please, could you tell me an easier one?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Are you talking about a chapter in which you explain a conversation that might play out like this?

A: Who's that man next to you in the picture?
B: That's my cousin, Mark.

This is for Chapter 1, beginners, and the students don't know possessive adjectives yet.

If it's meant for beginners, why complicate things with words a beginner isn't supposed to know, like identify? Mind who your addressee is. Emsr2d2's suggestion is perfect. It's simple, explains what the chapter is about, and exemplifies the structure that is going to be discussed in it. You might want to do something similar for all the chapters, by the way.

Otherwise, you might want to go with something like "How to ask people's names", "Gettig to know people", or "Introducing yourself and others", depending on what exactly is in the chapter. Neither identify people nor name people works here, though.

You identify someone by gathering enough clues to tell who they are, like when the police are asking you to identify the corpse. You don't come up to the deceased and ask them their name; you look at them, recognize their facial features, body shape, and distinguishing marks, and tell who you think it is based on that information.

You name people when you decide on what word(s) is going to be used to address them, like that one time I found a wild stag in the woods when I was hunting, and decided to call it dinner.

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
You could just call it "What's your name?"
I do appreciate it, but it doesn't work. One of the problems with the beginner's level is that we take for granted that students do understand, and they don't.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What have they actually learnt so far about basic conversation? Can they say "My name is ...". If so, the next logical step, surely, is "What's/What is your name?"

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
If it's meant for beginners, why complicate things with words a beginner isn't supposed to know, like identify? Mind who your addressee is. Emsr2d2's suggestion is perfect. It's simple, explains what the chapter is about, and exemplifies the structure that is going to be discussed in it. You might want to do something similar for all the chapters, by the way.
Understood.
Otherwise, you might want to go with something like "How to ask people's names", "Gettig to know people", or "Introducing yourself and others", depending on what exactly is in the chapter. Neither identify people nor name people works here, though.
Thanks. I like, "How to ask people's names".
You identify someone by gathering enough clues to tell who they are, like when the police are asking you to identify the corpse. You don't come up to the deceased and ask them their name; you look at them, recognize their facial features, body shape, and distinguishing marks, and tell who you think it is based on that information.
Crystal clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.