How to properly put ".": "... in religious teaching." & "freethinkers".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
How to properly put ".": "... in religious teaching." & "freethinkers".

The examples here ("... in religious teaching." & "freethinkers". ) tell us that at the end of a sentence, the period "." is sometimes put inside the quote marks, and sometimes outside.

The nuance seems to be: If the quotaion is a sentence, put "." inside; and if the quotation is simply a word (like freethinkers), put it outside.

Is this a rule of punctuation?

================

Freethought (or free thought) is an epistemological viewpoint which holds that positions regarding truth should be formed only on the basis of logic, reason, and empiricism, rather than authority, tradition, revelation, or dogma. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, a freethinker is "a person who forms their own ideas and opinions rather than accepting those of other people, especially in religious teaching." In some contemporary thought in particular, freethought is strongly tied with rejection of traditional social or religious belief systems. The cognitive application of freethought is known as "freethinking", and practitioners of freethought are known as "freethinkers". Modern freethinkers consider freethought as a natural freedom from all negative and illusive thoughts acquired from the society.

Source:
Freethought - Wikipedia

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: How to properly put ".": "... in religious teaching." & "freethinkers".

It is a rule, and I think you understand this part of it. It gets a little complicated.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: How to properly put ".": "... in religious teaching." & "freethinkers".

You might infer that from the evidence at hand, but I think the text is written incorrectly.

I think the position of the period in the first instance is misplaced. There's no reason to put it inside the quotation marks since it's not part of the quotation in any way. That is, the string that is quoted is not a sentence but just a long noun phrase. It's equivalent exactly to the second instance, where the period marks the end of the sentence in which the quote is contained, not the end of the quote.

When you finish a sentence with a quote that itself was ended by a period, then the period can go inside the closing quotation marks, with no need to use another period at the end of the sentence.

Anyone who disagrees with what I've said here can eat my shorts because I'm right and that's all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.