I’m glad the focus groups are responding so well to the prototype of our tablet computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a TOEIC test]
d46wTzi.jpg

Hi, Magda. Just calling to say I reivewed your product development report. I’m glad the focus groups are responding so well to the prototype of our tablet computer.
---
1. Why is the present progressive used? Does that mean the speaker thinks that that is still ture at the present but could change later?

2. How about "responded"? I think that that could also work but simply mean that the respond happened in the past. That is, "are responding" and "responded" have subtle differences in meaning in the context.

What do you think?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read it to mean that there has been more than one focus group, and such testing is continuing. Introducing the product to focus groups is a continuing operation.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. No. It's because the action is still in progress.
I read it to mean that there has been more than one focus group, and such testing is continuing. Introducing the product to focus groups is a continuing operation.
Thank you both. SoothingDave, your reply explained jutfrank's well. :)

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. No. It's because the action is still in progress.
Another scenario could be that the focus groups have finished some item tests and there are other item tests awaiting them.

Does this make sense?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not likely that a particular focus group is meeting more than once. It's normal to test the same product with different groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.