I asked my work-study student to file a dozen papers "IN THE FRONT" of each student's file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm a teacher, but not of English.
I'd love to get some analysis of the grammar in this instance.

I asked my work-study student to file a dozen papers "IN THE FRONT" of each student's file.
I was surprised when I saw that he had filed them "IN FRONT OF" each separate file.

I was unable to make a grammatical analysis of the difference between
> In the front of each file
(First comes the cardboard cover of a file, then the paper I was filing inside the file, then the rest of the papers for that file folder)
- vs -
> In front of each file
(First comes the paper I was filing, then the cardboard cover of the file folder, then the contents of the folder)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You can think of 'in front of' as a multi-word preposition. Its meaning can be contrasted with that of 'behind'.

'Front' in 'in the front of' is a noun, meaning 'the part at the beginning'. Its meaning can be contrasted with that of 'middle'. ot 'back'.

Last edited:

Ms. Worth

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. Yes, I see that.
I didn't think of "in front of" as a kind of preposition.
Excellent.

The addition of that one little word ("the") changed the meaning very much.

Does every native English speaker make the same distinction that I did between "in front of" and "in the front of"?
My work-study kid (not a native speaker) seemed baffled.

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I'd normally have just asked the student to file the papers, and assumed that he'd file them at the top (as the most recent ones), so they'd be the first you'd see when you opened the file.

I haven't heard "in the front" or "in front" used for this situation (though that might well be the usual way of saying it in the US, of course). If I wanted to specify that, I'd have used "top". Could you file these please? Put them right on top/Put them at the top.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does every native English speaker make the same distinction that I did between "in front of" and "in the front of"?
Yes - as far as I know.
I'd normally have just asked the student to file the papers, and assumed that he'd file them at the top (as the most recent ones), so they'd be the first you'd see when you opened the file.

I haven't heard "in the front" or "in front" used for this situation (though that might well be the usual way of saying it in the US, of course). If I wanted to specify that, I'd have used "top". Could you file these please? Put them right on top/Put them at the top.
I understand by 'file' one of these. I'd use only 'in/at the front', never 'at the top'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.