I bought some eggs which I put in refrigrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I bought some eggs which, I put them inside the refrigerator so that their white and yellow parts would not get mixed when I broke them. I could seperate white and yellow parts easily".

You asked me to use "I break" in place of "I broke". I am confused you say that for habbitual and regular things we use present simple even if we talk about past but I am confused. Could you please ellaborate and explain with some examples?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
y;1285932]"I bought some eggs which I put in the refrigerator so that their white and yellow parts would not get mixed when I broke them. [/QUOTE]
That's correct.
"... so their parts would not get mixed when I broke them."
"... so their parts will not get mixed when I break them."

If you want to talk about habitual things, you'd say, "When[ever] I buy eggs, I put them in the refrigerator so they won't get mixed when I break them."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The yellow part is the yolk, we do talk about the white of an egg, but not the yellow IMO.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wasn't aware that eggs at room temperature become scrambled inside the shell.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not without being shaken, but if you want to mess with somebody, put a raw egg in a sock or pair of stockings and then rotate the egg rapidly by holding both ends and swinging in a circle. It'll scramble the egg internally, and then it's amusing to watch reactions when people peel a hard-boiled egg only to find it completely yellow.

It works best with something stretchy, like women's hosiery, where you can twist the ends tight against the egg, then pull in opposite directions, generating a much faster spin.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not without being shaken, but if you want to mess with somebody, put a raw egg in a sock or pair of stockings and then rotate the egg rapidly by holding both ends and swinging in a circle. It'll scramble the egg internally, and then it's amusing to watch reactions when people peel a hard-boiled egg only to find it completely yellow.

It works best with something stretchy, like women's hosiery, where you can twist the ends tight against the egg, then pull in opposite directions, generating a much faster spin.

Some people have too much time on their hands! ;-)

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
y;1285932]"I bought some eggs which I put in the refrigerator so that their white and yellow parts would not get mixed when I broke them.
That's correct.
"... so their parts would not get mixed when I broke them."
"... so their parts will not get mixed when I break them."

If you want to talk about habitual things, you'd say, "When[ever] I buy eggs, I put them in the refrigerator so they won't get mixed when I break them."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer but you guys told me earlier to use "When I break" instead of "When I broke" while depicting about the past. This is what I would like to know. please check link https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/208624-White-and-yellow.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It depends on the sentence and the context. You'd use 'broke' for the past.
But just because you bought them in the past doesn't mean you are referring to breaking them in the past. "I bought some eggs, and tomorrow I'm going to break them."
"I bought some eggs yesterday, and when I break them, they won't get mixed, because I put them in the fridge."

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It depends on the sentence and the context. You'd use 'broke' for the past.
But just because you bought them in the past doesn't mean you are referring to breaking them in the past. "I bought some eggs, and tomorrow I'm going to break them."
"I bought some eggs yesterday, and when I break them, they won't get mixed, because I put them in the fridge."

sorry to bother you but I got confused in the last sentence. I mean "break" and "won't" are you referring to the past incident?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. In the sentence you quoted (with the words in blue), "when I break" and "won't" refer to the future.

I put the eggs in the fridge today so that when I break them (on Thursday), the white and the yolk won't mix.

"Put" is the simple past.

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
No. In the sentence you quoted (with the words in blue), "when I break" and "won't" refer to the future.

I put the eggs in the fridge today so that when I break them (on Thursday), the white and the yolk won't mix.

"Put" is the simple past.

Okay, but when I talk about past I don't have to use present simple. I mean you said so in the thread whose (is it correct to use "Whose" here?) like I provided in my previous to previous (is it correct?)post.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Okay, but when I talk about the past I don't have to use present simple. I mean you said so in the thread whose (is it correct to use "whose" [STRIKE]"Whose"[/STRIKE] here?) link [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] I provided in my previous to previous (is it correct?) [space] post.

Your use of whose​ was correct. Note my other corrections. Don't capitalize words other than I unless they're proper nouns, or the main words in titles and place names.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.