Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Wuhan was hit severely by the coronavirus. I am not in Wuhan but in Chongqing. The other day I changed my city (location) "Chongqing" to "Wuhan" online and someone who knows that I'm not from Wuhan asked why I'd changed my city to Wuhan. (Usually when people read my profile, they can see my location, where I'm from. I'm from Chongqing but I changed it to Wuhan.) I then replied to him "I changed my city to support the people in Wuhan". (I want to tell the people in Wuhan that we're always together and united) I wonder if my italic sentence is natural.

Hi.

Wuhan [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] has been badly hit [STRIKE]severely[/STRIKE] by the coronavirus.

I am not in Wuhan but in Chongqing.

The other day, I changed my city (location) "Chongqing" to "Wuhan" online and someone who knows that I'm not from Wuhan asked why. [STRIKE]I'd changed my city to Wuhan[/STRIKE]. The repetition was not required at the end.

(Usually when people read my profile, they can see my location and where I'm from. I'm from Chongqing but I changed it to Wuhan.) Your location and where you're from are not necessarily the same thing.

I [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] replied to him with "I changed my city to support the people in Wuhan".

(I want to tell the people in Wuhan that we're always together and united.)

I wonder if my italic sentence is natural.

Note my corrections (in red) and comments (in blue) above. Your italic sentence is OK as long as the listener knows you are talking about your city online.

The more important error here is not in your language, but in the fact that you chose to support victims of the Coronavirus by convincing the online world that you probably have it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back