Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Pocket Money, Oxford Reading Tree, I found the following:

1. I don't like the sound of this.
What does this refer to?

2. I don't like the look of it, either.
What does it refer to? What does either mean?

11.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have started a new thread for each separate picture and the question associated with it. I realise that you're new and that moving them all might take you some time so I will do it for you this time.

Say:

Dad said he wanted us to have a meeting. "I have a good idea," he said.
Chip groaned. "I don't like the sound of this" he said.
Dad had a big piece of paper.
"I don't like the look of it either" said Biff.

Neither Chip nor Biff like the idea of the meeting

I am moving to China to get a job working on ESL textbooks.
😀

"This" is a pronoun. It refers to Dad's idea of calling a meeting. The same goes for"it".

"Either" indicates that Biff shares Chip's feeing. Colloquially Biff could equally well have said "Me neither" or "Me either",

Apparently, his ideas haven't worked out very well in the past.
😊

A meeting with Dad would not be fun for Chip and Biff, so they voiced their displeasure at the idea.
"Either" is used to support what is previously said, usually something negative. Look up the word in the dictionary.

A meeting with Dad would not be fun for Chip and Biff, so they voiced their displeasure at the idea.
"Either" is used to support what is previously said, usually something negative. Look up the word in the dictionary.

I'd looked it up in the dictionary, there were several explanations so I was confused.

Is either here,
1. used after negative phrases to state that a feeling or situation is similar to one already mentioned. Like in the following,
Peter can't go and I can't either.
2. or used to add extra information to a statement? Since Chip and Biff were talking about two things, the sound and the look.

Wow, that's cool. I'm in Shenzhen. Wish you good luck!
The emoji should have told you that was a joke. (I'm too old to do anything like that.)

I looked it up in the dictionary. There were several explanations, so I was confused.

It's either,
1. used after negative phrases to state that a feeling or situation is similar to one already mentioned. Like in the following,
Peter can't go, and I can't either.
2. or used to add extra information to a statement? Since Chip and Biff were talking about two different things, the sound and the look.
It's not really two different things in this case. They were both talking about their reaction (negative).

I'd looked it up in the dictionary, there were several explanations so I was confused.

Is either here,
Peter can't go and I can't either.
2. or used to add extra information to a statement? Since Chip and Biff were talking about two things, the sound and the look.
Both Chip and Biff didn't like the idea of a meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back