Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear teachers,
What's the difference between the following two sentences:
I go running every morning at six.
I'm going running every morning at six.

Thank you.

Dear teachers, Unnecessary (and we have plenty of useful members who aren't teachers)

What's the difference between the following two sentences?

I go running every morning at six.
2. I'm going running every morning at six.

Thank you. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by hovering over the "Like" button and choosing the "Thank" icon.

Welcome to the forum.

Please note my comments above. Whenever you give us more than one sentence to consider, please number them. It makes it easier for us to respond. I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique, relevant to the thread, and include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you want us to look at. Titles such as "tense" are far too generic.

What do you mean by "What's the difference?" You answered that question in your original title. The difference is that the first uses the present simple and the second uses the present continuous. Are you asking us in what context you might choose one over the other?

Hi there. Thank you for your comments. I know the difference in tense, but as you have mentioned in what context English speakers choose the present continuous over simple present?

The continuous aspect usually suggests the limited duration of the situation. Your first sentence suggests a regular routine; the second that this is a temporary activity.

The continuous aspect usually suggests the limited duration of the situation. Your first sentence suggests a regular routine; the second that this is a temporary activity.
Thank you.

The second may training for a specific objective, like a marathon.

Here is more context for the sentence with present continuous:
“You do? Do you want to go running with me? I’m going running every morning at six. Say you’ll go with me! It’ll be fun!” Charlotte
mandated.

Now, can you help with the usage of that tense?

In that specific context, I'd use "I go running every morning at six" as long as this routine is something you've already started and that you plan to continue doing.

I really don't like "Charlotte mandated"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back