Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What does it mean when somebody says i got chills?
I searched in google but I couldn't find a clear answer

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does it mean when somebody says "I got chills"?
I searched in Google but I couldn't find a clear answer.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections above. You must capitalise the word "I" every time you write it, end every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark and mark out words you are asking about in some way. In the context of your post, those words should have been in quotation marks because you are quoting something people actually say.

I'm surprised you didn't find anything on Google. I just Googled "meaning of I got chills" and got several useful definitions. Why don't you try again and see what you find?

aradralami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note my corrections above. You must capitalise the word "I" every time you write it, end every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark and mark out words you are asking about in some way. In the context of your post, those words should have been in quotation marks because you are quoting something people actually say.

I'm surprised you didn't find anything on Google. I just Googled "meaning of I got chills" and got several useful definitions. Why don't you try again and see what you find?

Hi emsr2d2, Sorry for my bad English and many thanks for your answer and tips for my sentence.

You know in one site they say it means that they’re impressed or amazed by it, but I wanna make sure about it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You know in one site they say it means that they’re impressed or amazed by it, but I want to make sure about it.

The informal phrase I got chills or I've got chills (which I guess is an American English expression derived from 'to have chills' and not to be confused with 'to have the chills') is very likely to mean that the speaker is heavily impressed in some way by something.

We need more context to say anything more precise. The only context I can think of right now is Danny Zuko's opening line of You're the One That I Want from Grease.

Go to 0:56 of this clip to see and hear it in all its glory. Lyrics are in the description.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
We need more context to say anything more precise. The only context I can think of right now is Danny Zuko's opening line of You're the One That I Want from Grease.

When I read the subject line, I immediately thought, "they're multiplying"!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can get chills from being impressed, excited, or frightened. As others have said, only context can clarify which.

Either way, it's a reference to the source producing an effect somewhat akin to literally being cold. You experience some combination of shivers, goosebumps, tingling sensations or similar nerve impulses due to the thrill or fright.

Google the related expression "send chills down one's spine."

aradralami

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
For more context I've seen this in anime with English subtitle , Somebody wins the competition and his friend tell him I got chills.

Right now is clear to me it's mean I'm impressed.

Thanks to all of you to take your time for me
thumb-up.gif

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]For[/STRIKE] Here is more context: [STRIKE]I've seen[/STRIKE] I saw this in an anime with English subtitles. Somebody [STRIKE]wins[/STRIKE] won [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a competition and his friend [STRIKE]tell[/STRIKE] said to him "I got chills".

[STRIKE]Right[/STRIKE] Now it is clear to me [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] that it means "I'm impressed".

Thanks to all of you [STRIKE]to take[/STRIKE] for taking [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] the time [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to help me.
thumb-up.gif

Note my corrections above.

In the context of seeing a friend winning a competition, I think it means more than "I'm impressed". I would say that it made the person quite emotional - that it was such a great win, it made the hair on the back of his neck stand up.

Status
Not open for further replies.