I have installed the necessary programmes to make/let/allow your laptop operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewedfrost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I have installed the necessary programmes to make/let/allow your laptop operate.
Hello! Here I am again to ask you for your opinion about the above-mentioned sentence. I've already searched in the net, but I'd like to get your suggestion.
Are "make", "let", and "allow" interchangeable? Which is the correct option? I'd probably say "allow". Thanks a lot!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I have installed the necessary programmes to make/let/allow your laptop to operate."
Hello! Here I am again to ask you for your opinion about the above-mentioned sentence above. I've already searched in on the net, but I'd like to get your suggestions.
Are "make", "let", and "allow" interchangeable? Which is the correct option? I'd probably say "allow". Thanks a lot!

I don't find any of them particularly natural. What sort of programs are you talking about? Do you mean an operating system? If so, I'd say something like "I've installed [name of operating system] so that your laptop works".

Please give us more context.

dewedfrost

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I don't find any of them particularly natural. What sort of programs are you talking about? Do you mean an operating system? If so, I'd say something like "I've installed [name of operating system] so that your laptop works".

Please give us more context.
It's just a single sentence I have to translate from Italian into English; no specific programmes are referred to.
So, I could say "I have installed the necessary programmes so that your laptop works".
Wouldn't you put a comma before "so that..."?
Thanks a lot once again!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note the correct spelling of "program" in computing contexts. In BrE, we use "programme" for TV shows and the printed brochure you can buy at shows/gigs etc. I believe AmE uses "program" for all contexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.