Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If I am in a debate with a person and I want to say "I know which one is the cunning person out of us two". What should I say? Should I need to say "I know who is the cunning persons out of us two"?

Can I still say "debate" if it is not a verbal conversation only online heated chatting? Is there another word like "Verbal spat" for heated chatting?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I am in a debate with a person and I want to say "I know which one is the cunning person out of us two". What should I say?
You shouldn't say anything because it doesn't mean anything.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If I am in a debate with a person and I want to say "I know which one is the cunning person out of us two". What should I say? Should I need to say "I know who is the cunning persons out of us two"?

You should be able to see what is wrong with that last question. Hint: it involves a plural.

Can I still say "debate" if it is not a verbal conversation only online heated chatting? Is there another word like "Verbal spat" for heated chatting?

Yes, you can.

See my replies in red above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say Should I say …? or Do I need to say …? You can't combine them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is just about a grammatical sentence but what on earth are you talking about? What has being cunning got to do with anything? Please give us more context (not just "I'm in a debate with someone"). What's the situation? What are you debating? What was said before your bizarre sentence about being cunning?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You could ask Which one of us is more cunning?, but you should know if you are cunning.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, I don't think cunning means quite what you think it does.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's a reasonable definition but how does being cunning help you in a debate?

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That's a reasonable definition but how does being cunning help you in a debate?

No, I was chatting with a person and he didn't know anything about the history of the world and was making stupid comments so, I wrote "We both know which one of us is uneducated out of us two".

Is it correct to say "out of us two" here?

I just replaced "uneducated" with "cunning" here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, I was chatting with a person and he didn't know anything about the history of the world and was making stupid comments, so no comma here I wrote "We both know which one of us is uneducated out of us two".

Is it correct to say "out of us two" here?

I just replaced "uneducated" with "cunning" here.

"Out of us two" is OK there. It's unnecessary though. You've already used "which one of us", so it's clear you're only talking about you and him.

We both know which one of us is uneducated!

I shouldn't imagine the conversation went on much longer after your rude, snide remark.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, "cunning" and "uneducated" don't mean the same thing. So replacing one with the other doesn't make much sense.
:-|

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Out of us two" is OK there. It's unnecessary though. You've already used "which one of us", so it's clear you're only talking about you and him.

We both know which one of us is uneducated!

I shouldn't imagine the conversation went on much longer after your rude, snide remark.

Yeah I didn't want to continue that conversation either. That person was praising terrorism and terrorists and cursing others and praying for the destruction of my country so, I did that. It was his lucky day that it was on the internet he wasn't standing in front of me otherwise he would have regretted being there that day.

Is it correct to say "Being there that day" or do I need to write "Being there on that day"?

Is it correct to say "He was praying for the destruction of my country". Do I need to use some other word instead of "Praying"?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends- you could use hoping/wishing if they were not religious.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yeah, I didn't want to continue that conversation either. That person was praising terrorism and terrorists, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] cursing others and praying for the destruction of my country so no comma here I [STRIKE]did[/STRIKE] said that. It was his lucky day that it was on the internet and he wasn't standing in front of me otherwise he would have regretted being there that day.
That doesn't sound much like you were having a debate about the history of the world. I'm not surprised you were offended.

Is it correct to say "Being there that day" or do I need to write "Being there on that day"?
They're both possible.

Is it correct to say "He was praying for the destruction of my country". Do I need to use some other word instead of "praying"?

emsr2d2

tufguy

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It depends- you could use hoping/wishing if they were not religious.

He was a religious fanatic. If this is the case then we need to use "pray" instead of "hope or wish". Am I correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He was a religious fanatic. If this is the case then we need to use "pray" instead of "hope or wish". Am I correct?

You don't need to, but it might be appropriate.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you mean he was praying in the literal religious sense, then obviously pray is appropriate.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It works fine in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.