I like him. I always did vs I've always done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello! Let's consider the following dialog:

- What do you think of this guy?

- a) I like him. I always did.
- b) I've always liked him.

- c) I don't like him. I never did.
- d) I've never liked him.

Are the replies grammatically correct? What confuses me is that although the past simple with 'always' sounds correct to me here, I can't explain it logically. Can I replace "always/never did" with "have always/never done"?

Hello! Let's consider the following dialog:

- What do you think of this guy?

- a) I like him. I always did.
BrE speakers would probably use "I always have".
- b) I've always liked him. :tick:

- c) I don't like him. I never did. :tick:
but BrE speakers might say "I never have".
- d) I've never liked him. :tick:

Are the replies grammatically correct? What confuses me is that although the past simple with 'always' sounds correct to me here, I can't explain it logically. Can I replace "always/never did" with "have always/never done"? No.

See above.

The British English responses jutfrank suggests also work in American English.

The British English responses jutfrank suggests also work in American English.

I've morphed into jutfrank! I thought I felt different. ;-)

Can I explain the past simple in a) this way: I like him now as I always did in the past?

Can I explain the past simple in a) this way: I like him now as I always did in the past?

No.

What I think is confusing you is that fact that I always did is a variant, distinctly American-style way of saying I always have [liked him]. The way in which it's deviant from standard grammar is that it uses past simple to talk about the present.

I would say:

I like him. I always have. (American English.)

it uses past simple to talk about the present.

But if I said, "I always liked him, but now I'm disappointed," the past simple would work as usual, right?

Try:

I always liked him, but I'm disappointed in his recent behavior.

But if I said, "I always liked him, but now I'm disappointed," the past simple would work as usual, right?

That's not a very clear example. If you're talking about the past, the past simple is appropriate. If you're talking about the present, use the present perfect. This sentence doesn't show which you mean very clearly, but I assume you're talking about the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back