Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I am having difficulty in using prepositions. Can anyone check these sentences to see if the prepositions are used correctly?

- I live in Long Road.
- My house is on Long Road.
- My mother is on the pavement.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The answer depends on the variant of English. In the American variety we'd say:
- I live on Long Road.
- My house is on Long Road.
- My mother is on the sidewalk.

The last sentence is a little odd. It could be understood to mean that she's lying down on the sidewalk.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
on is correct in all three sentences in the British variant too, and would definitely be the preposition that I'd teach.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a child, I lived in a house that stood in a relatively short road. When I lived there, I always said "I live in Hatfield Avenue". I now live in a property that stands on a much longer road and I now say "I live on Connaught Road". The only difference is the length of the road. If I lived just round the corner from where I do, in what is a much shorter road, I would revert to using "in" and say "I live in Maybrook Road".

This is the first time I've ever tried to work out why I change prepositions and the length of the road is the only thing I can think of. I do the same with shops. For example, if someone asked me where the shop Anandis is, I would tell them that it's in Shaftesbury Gardens, which happens to be a small pedestrianised road in the middle of the older part of my town. If they asked me where Waitrose is, I would tell them that it's on Eastern Road, which is a long wide road right in the centre of the main shopping area.

(Those aren't the real names of the roads involved.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You might be onto something there- I wouldn't say in with a street.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might be onto something there- I wouldn't say in with a street.

Since none of my examples used "street", I had to think about what I would use. I think the same rule applies (in my brain, at least). My aunt used to live in a very small village which really had just one residential road and it was called "The Street". I would have used "in The Street (+ name of village)" if I had to give her address.

However, coming back to shops, we do refer to them being "on the high street" quite a lot.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, coming back to shops, we do refer to them being "on the high street" quite a lot.

I have a lot of thoughts on this subject, but I'm reluctant to write out a 500-word post trying to explain what I see as the differences in usage. Suffice to say, emsr2d2, that I think your view of the length of the road being the determining factor is a very good way of thinking about it.

But in terms of your comment about the High Street, may I ask out of curiosity whether you might use in the High Street if you were talking about where you lived rather than where a shop was?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have lived on a long High Street, and in a very short Park Road. I would use on for Green Lanes, which people told me is the longest street in London, however that is defined.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But in terms of your comment about the High Street, may I ask out of curiosity whether you might use in the High Street if you were talking about where you lived rather than where a shop was?

I think that the same (subconscious) rule would apply. If the High Street in question was a long major road, I would probably say I live on High Street (no article).

Status
Not open for further replies.