Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please tell me the difference between “several days ago” and “a few days ago”. How many days ago could they probably refer to?

1. I met Tina at the zoo several days ago.
2. I replied to Tom’s email a few days ago.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't help feeling you have similar expressions in Chinese, Alice. The indeterminate number of days will be the same in any language,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How many days ago could they [STRIKE]probably[/STRIKE] refer to?

I'm glad you asked how many days they could refer to, rather than how many they do refer to. Even so, there's no real definition. As Rover said, it's an indeterminate number of days. The only thing I would say is that neither of them refers to yesterday or to a day that's more than a week ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You seem to want to get specificity out of a sentence that is not meant to be specific. Perhaps the person just doesn't remember exactly when the event occurred and is perfectly happy with getting it close.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think several might be the longer time in this context..

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[FONT=&quot]They could refer to anunspecific time between two days ago and seven days ago. Is my understandingcorrect?[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They could refer to an space here unspecific time between two days ago and seven days ago. Is my understanding space here correct?

Well, seeing as you just paraphrased exactly what I told you in post 2, it would be odd for me to say no, wouldn't it?! That's roughly what I'd say though I take Tdol's point that "several" comes across as perhaps a little bit longer. Let's face it - it really doesn't matter, does it? If the speaker doesn't want to say, or can't remember, exactly when something happened, that's up to them. If the listener really wants to clarify, it's up to them to ask.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're trying to put precision on things that are deliberately imprecise. Several is often associated with numbers around seven, but a few days ago is likely to be somewhere around two or three, while a few years ago could be a bigger number. There is no exact definition for these. An alcoholic's definition of a few drinks may differ from someone who doesn't drink much, but both may use the term.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've always said that the word several has a sense of 'a significant number' (or as I prefer, 'not an insignificant number'). So if I say I met Tina at the zoo several days ago, I'm emphasising the distance between now and then. On the other hand, a few emphasises an insignificance of number. This is one reason why we often modify it to 'just a few' and 'only a few'.

This aspect of meaning is similar also to the difference between 'few' and 'a few'.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with all of the above but the simple fact is that there is no agreed/accepted precise number you can apply to any of these terms. If precision is required, the speaker would have to fulfil that requirement and say "I met Tina at the zoo three days ago", or "I met Tina at the zoo last Thursday".

Status
Not open for further replies.