I sat on the sofa in my room to write a short story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayramOzalp

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Please check it and correct any mistakes..

I sat on the sofa in my room to write a short story. As always, I had taken my favorite pen from the drawer. I started to write a short story.

Additionally, I wanted to understand if I used grammar rules correctly. I wrote a few sentences on a page. Then I thought about the sentences I wrote. Sometimes, I erased or changed some sentences.

I understand I am not ready to write a story yet. But I’ve tried writing..

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please check it and correct any mistakes..

I sat on the sofa in my room to write a short story. As always, I took my favorite pen from the drawer. I started to write a short story.

Additionally, I want to understand if I used grammar rules correctly. I wrote a few sentences on a page. Then I thought about the sentences I had written. Sometimes, I erased or changed some sentences.

I understand I am not ready to write a story yet. But I’ve tried writing..
OK. Why don't you go ahead and write something? It could be about something you have seen or it could be some thoughts you've had about something or some plans you've been making.

What kind of thoughts might go through your head if you were alone on a spaceship headed for Mars?

Last edited:

BayramOzalp

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
OK. Why don't you go ahead and write something? It could be about something you have seen or it be some thoughts you've had about something or some plans you've been making.

What kind of thoughts might go through your head if you were alone on a spaceship headed for Mars?
I have a question about this sentence.
"I want to understand if I used grammar rules correctly."

want: present tense
used: simple past tense

Shouldn't they both be the same tens?

I want to understand if I use grammar rules correctly.
I wanted to understand if I used grammar rules correctly.

Thank you..
(I'll ask another question later, but I'm not available right now.)

BayramOzalp

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
OK. Why don't you go ahead and write something? It could be about something you have seen or it be some thoughts you've had about something or some plans you've been making.

My second question:

You corrected: "I sat on the sofa in my room to write a short story. As always, I took my favorite pen from the drawer."

But first, I took my favorite pen and after that I sat on the sofa. Thus I wrote that sentence and I used Past Perfect Tense.

"I sat on the sofa in my room to write a short story. As always, I had taken my favorite pen from the drawer."

Is this explanation wrong?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
**I want to understand if I use grammar rules correctly.**

That's about general cases.

**I want to understand if I used grammar rules correctly.**

That's about a specific time in the past or the past in general. In this case it's about the post in question (#1).

In either case, the desire to understand something is in the present (now).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But first, I took my favorite pen out of the drawer and after that I sat on the sofa. Thus I wrote that sentence and I used past perfect tense.

"I sat on the sofa in my room to write a short story. As always, I had taken my favorite pen from the drawer."

Is this explanation wrong?
Ah! It makes perfect sense now.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@BayramOzalp It seems like you wrote it that way just so you could use past perfect. (Normally we would say that in sequence.)

Status
Not open for further replies.