Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
Which of these can be used when the intended meaning is "I want to have sexual interaction with you"?

1 I want to breed (with) you.
2 I want to mate you.
3 I want to beget you.
4 I want to copulate (with) you.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
None of them is natural.

I also doubt that they would be very effective.

Do228--Why don't you try them out and let us know?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1 I want to breed (with) you.
2 I want to mate you.
3 I want to beget you.
4 I want to copulate (with) you.
Without with, number one suggests you want to perform scientific experiments on your paramour. Number two suggests you hope to create a new breed of animal. Number three means you wish to impregnate the mother of the person you are talking to in order to become that person's father, which is logically unlikely.

If you include with in number four, you are either talking to a Vulcan or asking for a punch in the face. Without with, it means nothing—but you should try it anyway. You might still get a black eye.

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I forgot to add "with" at #2. "I want to mate with you" is possible, isn't it? At least I read something like that on Facebook and in the urban dictionary.

Why does #3 have something to do with the person's mother?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I forgot to add "with" at #2. "I want to mate with you" is possible, isn't it? At least I read something like that on Facebook and in the urban dictionary.
Unless mate with has become slangy, it doesn't work for humans. Dogs mate; people who raise dogs breed them. I'm not up to date with the latest slang, so maybe some people have started telling each other they'd like to mate.

Why does #3 have something to do with the person's mother?
Beget is used repeatedly in the King James Version of the Bible, usually in its archaic past simple form begat. It's never used in modern English except in jest. It means fathered or, in my imaginative but wordy version, impregnated the mother of.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What has not been mentioned so far is that few of us would be so crass as to put this thought into words.
I hope the following isn't too crass. I think it deserves to be mentioned. It's a touch less crass than "sleep with":

"I want to spend the night with you."

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
The only circumstance in which I can imagine someone saying "I want to mate you" would be before or during a game of chess.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The only circumstance in which I can imagine someone saying "I want to mate you" would be before or during a game of chess.

Many people enjoy talking to their dogs. I could easily imagine someone saying that to their pet.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Many people enjoy talking to their dogs. I could easily imagine someone saying that to their pet.

Imagine the confusion that could ensue if only dogs could play chess.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which of these can be used when the intended meaning is "I want to have sexual interaction with you"?

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Do228:

If you absolutely have to express that idea in words, then you might consider these words from one of my favorite songs: "And each time we make romance, ..."

Singers: Diana Ross & the Supremes
Song Title: "Back in Your Arms Again"
Year: 1965
Record label: Motown

Do228

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Esperanto
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Europe
I've often heard people say things like "Can I invite you to watch a movie in my condo?" or "Can I invite you for a coffee?" when they meet a nice girl in a mall or somewhere else but maybe that's not always unambiguous enough. I think it depends on the girl's mindset.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A girl who accepts an invitation to have a coffee or watch a movie is in no way agreeing to have sex. There's nothing ambiguous about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.