I wanted mow the lawn but the lawn mower is refusing to play ball! It just wouldn't turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone is trying to get something to work but it's not working. Can I use "playing ball"? Are these correct and natural?

1. I wanted mow the lawn but the lawn mower is refusing to play ball! It just wouldn't turn on.
2. I want to download the app on my phone but it's not playing ball! It keeps giving me a damn error.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Play ball' doesn't mean 'work' in the sense of fuction - it means something more like 'cooperate'. If you want to suggest that the lawnmower or app intentionally refuses to start or work, then I guess they might work. You'd be intentionally anthropomorphizing inanimate objects. Granted, we sometimes do that, often for humorous effect.

Your examples are grammatical (apart from the missing 'to' in the first), but not natural. We normally tend to use the phrase 'play ball' with inter-human interactions, so your examples are unusual, albeit understandable.

Edit: I have been known to accuse machines of refusing to cooperate, but I've never accused them of refusing to play ball.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to say someone is trying to get something to work but it's not working. Can I use "playing ball"? Are these correct and natural?

1. I wanted mow the lawn but the lawn mower is refusing to play ball! It just WON'T turn on.
2. I want to download the app on my phone but it's not playing ball! It keeps giving me a damn error.
Hm. Interesting take on that one.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mowers usually "start" not "turn on."