Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
When writing long sentence, I wonder if "Infinitive and present participle" can be used interchangeably and have the same meanings.

1. I was busy yesterday doing / to do chores and paying/ to pay a visit to a school friend.
2.My brother is working on a small project, launching/ to launch next September.
3.The presenter boiled down the speech in two minutes mourning/ to mourn the founder of the charity.
4. Walking has several benefits on human that is to enhance memory, losing weight, and avoid diseases,
5.Walking has several benefits on human, enhancing memory, losing weight, and avoiding diseases.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When writing long sentences, I wonder if the infinitive and the present participle no quotation marks here can be used interchangeably and have mean the same. meanings.

1. I was busy yesterday doing/to do chores and paying/to pay a visit to a school friend.
2. space here My brother is working on a small project, launching/to launch next September.
3. space here The presenter boiled down the speech in two minutes mourning/to mourn the founder of the charity.
4. Walking has several benefits on for human people; that is, to enhance it enhances memory, losing weight helps with weight loss, and helps [to] avoid diseases keep them healthy.
5. space here Walking has several benefits on for human people, enhancing improving memory, losing weight helping with weight loss, and avoiding helping to avoid diseases keep them healthy.
1. Only "doing" and "paying" are correct.
2. There's a chance the reader will think it's your brother who will launch next September. I'd say "... a small project, which he will launch next September".
3. The word order is unnatural. "The presenter boiled down the speech mourning the founder of the charity to just two minutes."
4 and 5. See my multiple changes above.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
1. Only "doing" and "paying" are correct.

Thank you so much. In 1, the present participle is used because it is preceded by the verb " was" (be verbs) right? As the following sentence:

1. My brother is busy working to work on graduation project. My intuition tells "working on" is correct though I don't know why.

2. Which form Is appropriate and formal the infinitive or the present participle?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In 1, the present participle is used because it is preceded by the verb " was" (be verbs) right?

No. The right pattern is:

(be) busy doing something

As the following sentence:

1. My brother is busy working/to work on his graduation project.

My intuition tells "working on" is correct though I don't know why.

It's correct because it uses the right pattern: (be) busy doing something

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
No. The right pattern is:

(be) busy doing something

It's correct because it uses the right pattern: (be) busy doing something

Thank you teacher @jutfrank

That is correct and there are other pattern collocating with present participle like "avoid".

I have one last question. If there is a be verbs, are the infinitive, the present participle, and relatively pronoun correct?

1. The meeting is on the main building which pinpoint three issues, the new location in the industrial city, new changes in our policy, and temporarily halt the production.

2. The meeting is on the main building to pinpoint three issues, the new location in the industrial city, new changes in our policy, and temporarily halt the production.

3. The meeting is on the main building, pinpointing three issues, the new location in the industrial city, the new changes in our policy, and temporarily halt the production.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. The meeting is on the main building which pinpoint three issues, the new location in the industrial city, new changes in our policy, and temporarily halt the production.

2. The meeting is on the main building to pinpoint three issues, the new location in the industrial city, new changes in our policy, and temporarily halt the production.

3. The meeting is on the main building, pinpointing three issues, the new location in the industrial city, the new changes in our policy, and temporarily halt the production.

No, none of those is any good. You shouldn't combine the location of the meeting with the agenda of the meeting in the same sentence.

The meeting will be in the main building.
The meeting will cover three issues: ...

You need two separate sentences.