Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello, and welcome. :)
You pronounce /ð/ as /z/.
You pronounce /θ/ as /s/ or /t/.
You need to work on those.

Also:
You pronounce the "g" in "legend" as /ʒ/ (as in "television"). It should be /ʤ/.
The "s" in "close" (meaning near) is /s/, but you pronounce it as /z/ as in "close" (meaning shut). Take a look at the following link (sound and phonetics) to learn the difference:

jessy2013

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
France
Hello, and welcome. :)
You pronounce /ð/ as /z/.
You pronounce /θ/ as /s/ or /t/.
You need to work on those.

Also:
You pronounce the "g" in "legend" as /ʒ/ (as in "television"). It should be /ʤ/.
The "s" in "close" (meaning near) is /s/, but you pronounce it as /z/ as in "close" (meaning shut). Take a look at the following link (sound and phonetics) to learn the difference:
Thank you so much, I appreciate your feedback.
Would you mind telling me from where do you think my accent is from? Where does it sound like?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you mind telling me from where do you think my accent is from? Where does it sound like? The second question is ungrammatical and redundant. You just needed the first question (without "do").
Well, your user profile says you're an Arabic speaker from Egypt. That doesn't really leave us much to guess, unless your profile information isn't accurate.

If you want to post another recording, I suggest you record yourself speaking unscripted (don't read from a text, just talk!)

jessy2013

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
France
Well, your user profile says you're an Arabic speaker from Egypt. That doesn't really leave us much to guess, unless your profile information isn't accurate.

If you want to post another recording, I suggest you record yourself speaking unscripted (don't read from a text, just talk!)
I just want to know what my accent sound like while I’m speaking English. I grew up in a different countries and moved around a lot. Some people used to tell me that I speak English with a bit of a French accent.
If you’re talking to me for the first time, from where would you assume I’m from based on my accent?
I’m just curious that’s all because I have no idea what I sound like when I’m speaking English.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thank you so much. I appreciate your feedback.
Would you mind telling me from where do you think my accent is from? Where does it sound like it's from?
Ignoring the info you provided on your profile, I would have said Ethiopian/Sudanese/East African l1 background.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I heard a couple of potentially French-sounding parts but I wouldn't have thought you were actually French. I might have plumped for North African (Algerian/Tunisian) because their main official languages are Arabic and French.

jessy2013

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
France
I heard a couple of potentially French-sounding parts but I wouldn't have thought you were actually French. I might have plumped for North African (Algerian/Tunisian) because their main official languages are Arabic and French.
Is that based on the info provided on my profile? Or my accent really sounds more like north african or middle eastern?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is that based on the info provided on my profile no question mark here or does my accent really sounds sound more like North African or Middle Eastern?
Please note my corrections above.
I admit I'd already noticed that your current location was France but I don't think that influenced my noticing the slightly French sounds. When I mentioned North African, I meant that that's what I would have gone for if I hadn't seen the rest of your profile. To be honest, I don't think I would recognise a basic Middle Eastern accent simply from a short excerpt.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The way you do /t/ and /d/ phonemes sounds quite Indian to me in some places.

There are AI tools that can quite accurately predict which accent you have. I know it's not what you're looking for, but the tool below is quite fun to play with, and the only one I could find that's free. It can guess whether you're speaking in a British, American, or Australian way. The last test I did told me that I speak with an 84% British accent and am likely to get a 7.5 on an IELTS test!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are AI tools that can quite accurately predict which accent you have. I know it's not what you're looking for, but the tool below is quite fun to play with, and the only one I could find that's free. It can guess whether you're speaking in a British, American, or Australian way. The last test I did told me that I speak with an 84% British accent and am likely to get a 7.5 on an IELTS test!

Oh, that's fun! I just tried it with a very simple five-word phrase. However, it told me my voice was 82% US, 2% UK and 2% Australian. (I don't know what happened to the other 4%!) It said I'm likely to get a score of 8 on IELTS, 26-27 on TOEFL, C1 level on CEFR, and 4/5 on PT (whatever that is!) I just know I'm going to end up playing with it more to see if I can get it to spot that I'm British, not American!

Edit: I just did the same phrase in a terribly posh British accent that, to me, couldn't sound at all American. It now gives me 83% US!
Edit 2: I just recorded it in a VERY strong Australian accent but it still gives 83% US! However, all my predicted scores have gone up!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
it told me my voice was 82% US, 2% UK and 2% Australian. (I don't know what happened to the other 4%!)

😆

It said I'm likely to get a score of 8 on IELTS, 26-27 on TOEFL, C1 level on CEFR, and 4/5 on PT (whatever that is!)

Congratulations! Better than me.

I just know I'm going to end up playing with it more to see if I can get it to spot that I'm British, not American!

Edit: I just did the same phrase in a terribly posh British accent that, to me, couldn't sound at all American. It now gives me 83% US!
Edit 2: I just recorded it in a VERY strong Australian accent but it still gives 83% US! However, all my predicted scores have gone up!

What's the phrase you're using that comes out US? I want to try that same phrase to see if it does the same to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What's the phrase you're using that comes out US? I want to try that same phrase to see if it does the same to me.
"How long are you staying?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Edit 2: I just recorded it in a VERY strong Australian accent but it still gives 83% US!

I'm doing what I must say is a rather brilliant Jason Donovan impression and it says I'm 63% US, 11% British and only 3% Aussie! Strewth!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"How long are you staying?"

Hmm. I did this sentence with exaggerated British RP and it came out 82% US.

Okay, maybe it's not as reliable as I first thought. I presume longer strings would improve the reliability, though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I presume longer strings would improve the reliability, though.
I just used the maximum number of characters allowed and tried "There are twenty-five people in this room and I need them all to leave by 10pm". I'm now down to just 52% US, 18% UK and 4% AUS. It's an improvement but it's still very, very wrong!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"There are twenty-five people in this room and I need them all to leave by 10pm"

I get 84% UK for that, 2% US, 2% Aus. I don't know how this works.