If the major contributors to climate change will not support the reduction of greenhouse gases, ...

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"If the major contributors to climate change will not support the reduction of greenhouse gases, there is little hope for the future." (Cambridge IELTS Academic 14, page 131, task 2 model answer)

In the above conditional, we see 'will' in the if-clause. What is the reason?

Thanks,

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"If the major contributors to climate change will not support the reduction of greenhouse gases, there is little hope for the future."

In the above conditional, we see 'will' in the if-clause. What is the reason?

Thanks.
Before we continue, you must tell us where you saw the original sentence and who wrote it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It is possible to use 'will' in an if-clause. Here, will not means 'refuse to'.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is possible to use 'will' in an if-clause. Here, will not means 'refuse to'.
I've been searching for a while about the use of 'will' in if-clauses, especially in your great UE.
I've noticed 'will' can be used in if-clauses when it is a form of politeness like 'If you will wait a minute, I will let the family know.'
As I've learnt it just here, 'will not' can also be used in if-clauses when it means 'refuse to'.
Is there any other context in which we can use 'will' in if-clauses?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Cambridge Dictionary lists these examples:

Will and would can be used in conditional clauses, either with the meaning of ‘being willing to do something’, or to refer to later results:

If Clare will meet us at the airport, it will save us a lot of time. (if Clare is willing to meet us)

If you would all stop shouting, I will try and explain the situation!

If it will make you happy, I’ll stay at home tonight.
(If it is true that you will be happy as a result, I’ll stay at home tonight.)

We sometimes stress the will or would, especially if we doubt that the result will be the one mentioned:

If it really would save the planet, I’d stop using my car tomorrow. (If it really is true that the planet would be saved as a result, I would stop using my car, but I doubt it is true.)

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Cambridge Dictionary lists these examples:

Will and would can be used in conditional clauses, either with the meaning of ‘being willing to do something’, or to refer to later results:

If Clare will meet us at the airport, it will save us a lot of time. (if Clare is willing to meet us)

If you would all stop shouting, I will try and explain the situation!

If it will make you happy, I’ll stay at home tonight.
(If it is true that you will be happy as a result, I’ll stay at home tonight.)

We sometimes stress the will or would, especially if we doubt that the result will be the one mentioned:

If it really would save the planet, I’d stop using my car tomorrow. (If it really is true that the planet would be saved as a result, I would stop using my car, but I doubt it is true.)
So, when is it not permitted to use 'will' in the if-clause?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Permitted"? English is just a language. You can use will in the if-clause. The question is whether you understand how it changes the sentence, its meaning and tone.

Most textbooks refrain from teaching how to use will in the if-clause because it's very difficult for learners to properly recognize what context such a sentence would be appropriate in, and such sentences are extremely rare anyway.

That's why these textbooks offer you the first conditional, without will in the if-clause. It's much easier to use, much more common, and therefore much more useful. It doesn't mean it's the only kind of conditional sentence possible in English, just something textbooks like to focus on for practical reasons.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Before we continue, you must tell us where you saw the original sentence and who wrote it.

@atabitaraf, we're still waiting for this information. You're fortunate to have received answers without supplying it after a moderator has asked for it.

Please give source and author of any quoted text in post #1 in future. or the thread may well be deleted.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Fair enough. My final sentence above still applies.