Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What is the difference between these two structures:"If there were no subtitles, I would be unlikely to have understood him and "If there had been no subtitles, I would have been unlikely to understand him"? Do they mean the same?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my opinion, the main difference is that I can't imagine a native speaker using the first one. I'd use either the second or "It's likely I wouldn't have understood him".

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In my opinion, the main difference is that I can't imagine a native speaker using the first one. I'd use either the second or "It's likely I wouldn't have understood him".
1. I would like to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.
2. I would have liked to visit Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.
3. I would have liked to have visited Liverpool while I was in UK but I didn't manage to.

Are these sentences conventional contstructions? I do understand that the last one is grammatically correct but it's clumsy and cumbersome.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In one of my previous posts you revised my question to read as follows: "To be frank, if there were no subtitles, I would be unlikely to have understood him. Might be The context would might have helped me somehow. It represents It's a problem for me. I was trying to find a kind other examples/instances of his American pronunciation of "needed" in YouTube and YouGlish but failed." Can you please clarify whether such construction as " I would be unlikely to have understood him" is Okay from grammatical point of view, but nevertheless is considered to be unconventional for English speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.