If we'd moved to Scotland when I was a child, I would have a Scottish accent now.

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
At learnenglish.britishcouncil.org we read the following examples of Mixed Conditional:

If we'd moved to Scotland when I was a child, I would have a Scottish accent now.
If my grandmother were alive, she would have loved to see me graduate.

In the 1st sentence the author doesn't have an accent, so I would expect "I would have had a Scottish accent".

In the 2nd - again, the grandmother is dead, so it should be "If my grandmother had been alive".

Are these sentences just mistakes of Britishcouncil or is there an explanation for that? If it is correct, how is it possible?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They're both correct.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If we'd moved to Scotland when I was a child,
If my grandmother were alive, she would have loved to see me graduate.

In the 1st sentence the author doesn't have an accent, so I would expect "I would have had a Scottish accent".

The two forms would have had and would have have different meanings. The former relates to a past result and the latter relates to a present result.

I would have a Scottish accent = now
I would have had a Scottish accent = in the past

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The two forms would have had and would have have different meanings. The former relates to a past result and the latter relates to a present result.

I would have a Scottish accent = now
I would have had a Scottish accent = in the past
Ok, but what about real/unreal relations? I used to think that as I don't have a Scottish accent (now), it means having it is unreal, i.e. it should be expressed through would + perfect infititive. According to Rover_KE above this would also be correct, wouldn't it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If we'd moved to Scotland ...

This clause can be described as 'unreal' because it expresses a past action that did not happen. It means we did not move to Scotland.

... we would have Scottish accents.

This clause imagines a present situation that has resulted from moving to Scotland. It doesn't mean that we do not have Scottish accents now. However, the sentence as a whole implies that we don't have Scottish accents.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
In the 2nd - again, the grandmother is dead, so it should be "If my grandmother had been alive"
It's fine as it is. "Had been" works too but "were" works fine. Both mean that the grandmother is no longer alive.