If you put some ingredients in the refrigerator overnight, ...

MichaelLu2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
You're still missing the fact that "can" is the present simple and "will be able to" is the future voice. Of course they're not interchangeable!
I know they are of different tenses. But can and will be able to ARE interchangeable, while “can’t” and “won’t be able to” ARE NOT interchangeable.

If it stops raining tonight, we can play basketball in the park=If it stops raining tonight, we will be able to play basketball in the park.

If it rains tonight, we won’t be able to play basketball in the park (you can’t use “can’t”)

See the obvious difference?

In the first example, both can and will be able to are fine even though they are different tenses, and a future time point (tonight) is mentioned.

In the second, only “won’t be able to” can be used.

Also, you miss the point that in my original sentence of this post: If you put some ingredients in the refrigerator tonight, I **can**cook tomorrow night.

I obviously use the present tense “can” even though the cooking is going to happen tomorrow night, and another native speaker just says this sentence is fine.

It’s the perfect example of the interchangeability of “can” and “won’t be able to” when the time point is obviously future, so I really don’t understand why you don’t think that can and will be able to are interchangeable.

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please delete "Chien Te Lu" I am the owner of the these two accounts.
Hi there. I have merged your old account into your current account for you now.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If it stops raining tonight, we can play basketball in the park=If it stops raining tonight, we will be able to play basketball in the park.

If it rains tonight, we won’t be able to play basketball in the park (you can’t use “can’t”)
We can.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
Then I don’t know now. ...
Easy. Just stop thinking about "interchangeable."

From Practical English Usage 3rd edition, by Michael Swan
{quote}
123 can and could (3) ability (...)
1 future: can or will be able
We use can to talk about future actions which we will be able to do because of present ability, present circumstances, present decisions etc.
- Can you come to a party on Sunday?

In other cases we prefer other structures, for example will be able to.
- I'll be able to speak French at the end of this course.
(NOT I can speak French ... )
{end quote}

Last edited: