Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Lately, I had to fill in an objective response test for my English class, and I made four mistakes. The feedback of the test pointed out which answers were wrong, but it didn't indicate the correct ones and it didn't explain what the errors were. The questions were :

I'll finish these experiments when I...
(1) will return.
(2) return.

The research laboratory...
(1) opened.
(2)has opened.
(3)had opened.

Things have been easier here since the monsoon...
(1)started.
(2)has started.

I have been waiting... two hours.
(1)for
(2)since
(3)during

I highlighted in bold the answers I chose. I also removed the choices that didn't seem pertinent to me.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Lately[/STRIKE] Recently, I had to fill in an objective response test for my English class, and I made four mistakes. The [STRIKE]feedback of the test[/STRIKE] key [STRIKE]pointed out[/STRIKE] indicated which answers were wrong, but it didn't [STRIKE]indicate[/STRIKE] give/provide the correct [STRIKE]ones[/STRIKE] answers and it didn't explain [STRIKE]what the errors were[/STRIKE] why my answers were wrong. The questions were:

I'll finish these experiments when I ... Put a space before an ellipsis
(1) will return. :cross:
(2) return. :tick: In general, in this context/construction, we use the simple present to refer to the future.

The research laboratory ... Put a space before an ellipsis
(1) opened. This is a possible answer in the right context.
(2) space here has opened. This is a possible answer in the right context.
(3) space here had opened. This is a possible answer in the right context.

Things have been easier here since the monsoon ... Put a space before an ellipsis
(1) space here started. :tick:
(2) space here has started. :cross:There is no need for the present perfect here. The "start" of the monsoon was a single event.

I have been waiting ... two hours. Put a space before an ellipsis.
(1) space here for :tick: Generally, we "wait for" a length of time. It's also possible to omit "for" and simply say "I've been waiting two hours".
(2) space here since :cross:
(3) space here during :cross:

I have highlighted in bold the answers I chose. I also removed the choices that didn't seem [STRIKE]pertinent[/STRIKE] relevant to me.

See my comments and corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.